Chapter 1 The Sanctuary and the Hilltop

Present
[Y/N] [L/N]

There was once a story centuries ago about a girl and a boy that fell in love. They both died. Depressing? Try hysterical. Well, to what we’re going through now. Two feuding families? Five people dead including the lovers?

Please, I’ve seen more people die in a day than a duration of a week. Plus, it gave false expectations of what romance is supposed to consist of. Plus, in this day and age it implies that all romance dies in tragedy.

Well, that’s what I had interpreted.

How was the story of Romeo and Juliet important to this? It isn’t. It serves no importance to this. It’s just what I’m learning in school. And by school? I mean a group of four or five in the same age group learning various things that could help us from a single person known as a tutor.

By various things, they are normally miscellaneous, but I guess since the world sort of ended and all civilizations were lost, history could help us retrace our steps into what was once there.

And where was I learning all of this stuff? In the Hilltop community. Tara was looking after me here while my adoptive father was out on the road or tucked away in an enclosed portion of the forest.

I have no idea where he was. I had no idea why he even left. He never told me. That was three and a half-years ago.

“[Y/N], do you have the answers to problem one through ten?” Margarita “Margo”  Sanchez asked taking me away from my thoughts.

“Hmm?” I asked turning to her.

“She wants to know if you have the answers to the problems in the book.” Adeline “Addy” explained.

“To what? Science, Math, or History?” I asked them.

“Math.” Margo said.

“Yeah, here.” I passed over my notebook with my answers and work.

School was easy for me. The lady that was deemed our “instructor” gave us work that I swear was easier than it should have been. We were seventeen year old creeper slayers that didn’t know what an actual school was.

One without creepers. One without inevitable doom and destruction. One where we didn’t have to fear for our lives everyday.

“[Y/N]!” Tara called for me.

I turned towards the said brunette female as she walked towards my group of peers. Standing beside her was Enid. Oh no. What was I going to do now?

“Yes? Tara? Enid?” I turned towards the both of them.

“We need to talk to you.” Tara said.

“It’s about your job.” Enid said.

I nodded and walked away from the group that consisted of seven remaining people. Ever since Carol dropped me off here when I was fourteen, I was a runner. And I’m not talking the “run through a maze to get out of this predicament” runners like in the Maze Runner novels.

I’m talking about the people that go out of their way (and safety and security) to go get things that their community needs. And judging how Enid was with her. I was needed to go on a run for medicine and other medical supplies.

“So, [Y/N]. We need you to go on a run.” Tara told me.

“I’m shocked. It’s not like the only times I see Tara is when Hilltop needs me to go on a run or anything.” i replied.

“She was always this snarky.” Enid commented.

“I blame Daryl and his influence.” inputted Tara. “Anyways, we need you to go on a run.”