Chapter 12

Elathan looked down at his sleeping angel as he waited for Sitri to come back. He had some blood to spill in Irin's name. He also had to speak to the demon on a personal level. Committing the image of her sleeping form to memory, he covered her for what could be the last time.

The runed cuffs prevented him clothing her, but they would be gone soon enough.

There was the sound of a throat being cleared behind him. Sitri was back.

Elathan turned to face him.

"Well, my friend, Bati and I took out three of the six left. I figured you would want the pleasure of the last ones."

Elathan's smile was not kind. "Indeed."

"So, we are getting close to it then." Sitri asked.

"I do believe so." He waited a moment, collecting his thoughts. "I really can't ask this of you, after what I did, but I will anyway."

"Ask, Elathan. I hold no ill will. I find myself understanding the why or your action. Perhaps I understand too clearly."

"Thank you." He gave a slight nod to the demon who surprised him at every turn of late. "My goals have changed somewhat." He turned back to look her peaceful face. "I still plan to fight until I can't anymore. Until I know for sure that she is safe. But I want to return to her if I can. I promised her this." He looked up and found Sitri's eyes on Irin. "The stubborn little angel has informed me she has plans to rescue me if I don't." A faint smile crossed his lips. "We both know she can't be allowed to do that. It would mean the end of who she is. That can't happen, Sitri."

Sitri met Elathan's eyes. "What do you need from me?" He was hesitant to tell Elathan of Bati's plan, so for now, he kept it to himself.

"Take her somewhere where her God was the last to walk. She will fight you on this, I warn you. She is stubborn. Please, keep her safe until my return. If I return. And if I don't, then I know that you will care for her."

Sitri read between the lines. Elathan was giving him permission to love her like he did.

"She will need someone. She might say differently, but if she doesn't, well, I am afraid for her."

"Bati fears for her as well." The blond demon said in a low voice. He stroked a sheet covered leg.

"She does?" Elathan sounded surprised.

"Whatever she saw in Irin's nightmare scared her. Scared the Demoness of Nightmares, Elathan."

"What did she see?"

Sitri shook his head. "She wouldn't speak of it."

"Protect her, Sitri. I beg you."

"I think you are aware of how I feel, Elathan. You have no need to beg."

Elathan laughed. "Ah, how did we find ourselves here?"

"Because the mighty Lath Ane couldn't kill an angel."

"True."

The demons grew quiet. What needed to be said was said. Irin had someone who would protect her, who would come to love her as much as he.

His determination to win this fight soared. He meant to keep his promise to her.

"I am going. When I am back, be ready. I will have keys to those shackles. Others won't be far behind. Take her, no matter what. Get her out of here."

Sitri nodded. "You will find us when you are done."

Elathan's lips curved into a smile. "I can feel her here." He touched his chest. "There is no place on the earth that I couldn't find her."