Chapter 14

"Irin." He said again. There was something in his voice that she had never heard before. Not even when he was telling her of her banishment to earth. Sadness.

She met his gaze unflinchingly. "I was wondering when you would come."

"You had to know they would send me. What have you done?"

She smiled. "I have learned how to live, brother. You should try it."

"This, what you are doing, is not living."

"You know nothing."

"This is an abomination."

She laughed, surprised that she still could. "No, what I am becoming is an abomination. If it is to be you to deliver the stroke, then let it be for that, not for finding happiness."

"I can't punish you yet. I have to take you back to be judged."

"And you conveniently pop in while I am alone. You are indeed a coward."

She turned her back to him, disgust evident in the movement.

"Irin, you are my sister. I have made mistakes. I admit this, but if you think I want to hurt you, that's your mistake."

She spun back to him, incredulity on her face. "You don't know shit about hurt, brother. You sit safe and comfortable in your Heaven. You don't fight things that want to peel the skin off your bones. You don't fight demons on a daily basis, year after year, century after century." She took a deep breath, trying in vain to calm her boiling emotions. Michael was not an emotional angel

"I also don't fornicate with them."

That was like a slap to her face. Her head jerked back. "Don't you dare, you bastard. Do not speak of what I do as if you have a clue. I love, you stone-hearted waste of angelic skin. I love. They love. Do not think you can sit in judgment of me when you have never once taken a step in my shoes."

His face grew tight. "It is time."

He took her arm and his golden wings unfurled.

"I won't judge you sister; there are those that will do it for me."

She tried to yank away, knowing it was useless. "Of course they will. You always have someone else do your dirty work for you."

Elathan. Sitri.

She would never see them again. She couldn't tell them goodbye.

The pain in her heart was overwhelming. Blinding.

She knew this day could come.

She knew.

~~~

Down to three, Elathan grinned.

The others were pulling away now, but blood-lust was in the air. They would pay.

A crippling pain in his chest brought him to his knees. His heart.

Looking down, he was stunned to see that nothing protruded from him. If not a sword, then what?

Irin.

"Sitri!" He shouted. The blond one appeared beside him. "Irin. Take me to her."

Eyes wide, he nodded. He felt it too. Something happened to her.

"Andras, we have to go."

The demon looked at them, a smile on his face. "Go. We will finish these."