Chapter 5: A Burning Hunger

"Ah...Veil.  You don't disappoint." Kakos' voice is the sound of nightmares, coming from everywhere and nowhere at once.  Mina's heart jolts as she remembers, but her head spins as she opens her eyes.  

The room is drowned in shadows, Kakos is lost somewhere within.  Mina can hear the scrape of a step across the floor, and the air in the room shifts a degree warmer.  Orange-red light emits from beetween thick callused fingers.  Kakos hand fists, but he isn't squeezing light, flame dances beneath his skin.

Massive and muscled from working in the forge, Kakos's exposed shoulders and chest gleam like tarnished metal in the red of his flame. His shock of white hair is a dark shadow over his shoulders and chest, the heavy strands reflecting red. His eyes, in shadow, carry his intensity under stern brows and the touch of a frown on his thin lips. 

Mina feels his attention like the burn of a poison taking hold of her body. Her heart beats too fast sending a shock of nausea through her system. Beyond his mountainous size and the power of his fire, his manner of intimidation lies in the tilt of his head. 

Why do I feel like he owns every thought in my head? 

Mina can feel terror creeping up into her throat. She hardens herself against it, straining against the cuffs that pin her hands behind her.  Remember who he is, and what he has done. 

I would not gift him my fear so easily.

He approaches, his silhouette brightening, his hand rising to touch her face. She readies herself for pain.  When his fingers land just under her chin they are an uncomfortable warm.  Fire dances beneath his skin, burning within.

"I have thought many times of you, in the pit, killing your own people." His breath is hot on her face. Mina tries to lean away but comes up short.  The chains behind rattle and catch. 

Kakos' eyes are black pools reflecting. "Violet eyes are rare, even among the gods." Kakos brings a hand to the left side of her face and brushes his thumb under Mina's lower lid.  Mina holds very still.  Then he looks to her mangled cheek, his gaze reflecting the pink spark of the diamond.  "How well it looks on you Mina." He drops his hands, putting them behind his back. "But surely, you didn't come all this way to thank me?" 

Mina's mouth makes a snarl.  She tries to form words that make peace instead of acid between them.  But it is so hard, words are delivered like pounding nails into rock. "Grateful is a rare word among the gods."

"Indeed." Kakos smiles.  He waits.  Mina tries to tame her expression. Kakos' grin widens. "Oh Mina, how you struggle in asking for help."

Mina spits on his face. "I don't care what's on my face.  I'm not yours, I'm not ANYONE'S! We live on Typhon, where free--

Kakos cuts in, "--free will and choice governs first above all us. Yes you don't need to quote my own father back at me." He takes her spit off his cheek with a finger and slips it into his mouth. "You missed." 

Mina stares. Kakos' is a broken mirror. His brows and lips don't agree on an emotion.  Mina feels she is skimming the top of his insanity. Which I need not fall into. But I am here before him, I must make my ask. "I need water."

"How much?" Kakos, his expression righting itself to something normal, something sane. He pushes away from her, the embers under his skin extinguishing and plunging the room back into darkness. 

"How much are you offering?" Mina counters.

Kakos' steps scuff and echo as he moves about the room.  He seems to have no trouble with the dark.  There is a metal clanking sound. What has he got? What is he doing?  Mina tries to feel the edge to the cuffs, see what the chains are hooked upon.