Prologue

Burn knew she wasn't wanted in the Scorpion Den. Oh, she knew it. Given the choice, she'd have avoided it all together. But this was possible the most important decision of her life. I could have just challenged Mother and been done with it. But if she'd lost, and her Queen Oasis found the egg she now carefully hid beneath her wings... Three heirs. No more, no less. Moonlight glittered off her scales. The only reason Burn had worked with Blister to get rid of their youngest sister, Blaze, was so maybe her egg would grow up in the Sand Palace. No such luck. That ridiculous, six-clawed lizard just had to be all noble and save her.

       That didn't matter. She knew a place to hide the egg. Who to hide it with. Three buildings to the left, then straight to my right until I reach the Tavern. There it was. A small hovel in the middle of the most cutthroat town in the Sand Kingdom. Maybe even all of Pyrrhia.

       "Jackalope?" The SandWing princess called softly. The town was almost abandoned during the night. "Are you there?"

       A SandWing with dark brown freckles covering her snout, wings, and tail popped out of the tent. "I was wondering if you'd bother to show up." Burn still wasn't sure how she felt about hybrids, especially a hybrid raising her dragonet, but she trusted Jackalope all the same.

       "Thank you so much for taking care of it, Jackalope." Burn gingerly passed the desert-colored egg. "Here's a list of names Sandstorm and I came up with. The ones at the top are the ones we liked best."

       The hybrid took both from the princess. "I'll guard whoever comes out with my life." Burn nodded. It would be risky to stay any longer.

       "When I become queen, I'll come back." With a last long glance at her unborn child, she took to the sky, and before she new it, the darkness covered the Scorpion Den, and Burn could see it no more.