marvel au.

started: 01/05/2019
last updated: 05/08/2019

by au, i mean it is likely that none of the avengers, or any related heroes will show up; if they do, it will simply only be a cameo. however, this is set in the marvel universe. hydra exist, s.h.i.e.l.d. exist, but known characters from the mcu are not likely to show up.

Everywhere hurt.

I sat up, ignoring the aching pain in my tired muscles as I did so, and took in my darkened surroundings, eyes slowly adjusting to the lack of lighting.

I couldn't remember where I was. In fact, I realised with horror, I couldn't remember anything. I had no clue what my name was, or what my age was; nothing.

The room around me looked to be a laboratory that was in desperate need of refurbishment. The painted walls were peeling, dull and grey in the dimly lit room. The bed I was lying on, if the slab of barely-cushioned steel below me could be called that, creaked as I shifted. When I ran a tentative hand along the edge, I could feel the cold surface lined with corrosion and rust.

The air was putrid and musty; the room needed airing. I wasn't quite sure how exactly, though―the only window I could see was tiny with no identifiable way of opening it, and the glass seemed to be layered thick with dust and dirt. I could barely make the moon, a blur of dim light somewhere behind the grime of the window.

My nose in pain and unwilling to take the stench any longer, I yanked up the thin, scratchy cloth of what was barely passable as a t-shirt, and pulled it over my nose to act as a filter. That would have to suffice for now.

As I did so, a metal badge glinted so faintly and quickly that I wouldn't have caught sight of it if the room wasn't so dark.

I strained my eyes to read it. Madeleine. A glint of recognition washed over me. That was it. That was my name. Relief flooded through me as I realised I still had hope―as long as I could remember my name, I knew I'd eventually be able to remember everything else that defined my identity.

But first, I needed to find my way the hell out of here.

Ignoring the strain on my muscles, I took tentative steps towards the only door I could see. Battered. Metal. Corroded. Just like the rest of the room.

Hesitantly, I pushed it open. Upon its initial sticking, I put more force into it, and with a loud creak that I cringed at, it gave.

I stepped into the unsurprisingly isolated hallway as quietly as I could, wary at the eerie silence of the building that didn't seem to be that much more brightly lit than the room I was just in.

Now completely used to the lack of light, I easily picked my way through corridors, somehow seeming to know my way out, as if I'd been here plenty of times before. After many turns through long corridors, I eventually found my way outside. The moon was bright, the light reflected from it no longer dimmed by the filthy windows and lack of vents supplied by the building. Turning back to face the building I had just exited, I sighed. It somehow looked even more rundown from its exterior.

As I turned back around to face the gate and leave the compound completely, no concrete plan of what I'd do once I actually left the area, I found myself face to face with a gun.

"Interesting," the man holding the gun, who was intimidating and spoke in a cold voice, as if he'd never experienced a positive emotion before, commented, "So you made it out, did you? Most people get lost. Send her back to Lab-5654 for testing. This one's different; we've done something right."