Chapter Five: Having Lunch

Penelope groaned slamming her head into her desk, she was truly having problems writing her new book and she wished for some inspiration; her first book had been a hit and Penelope had no problems when it came to writing it.

Penelope brushed her fingers through her hair, she didn’t know what to do and the writer’s block was killing her; she pouted as she heard Cesc step into her office.

“Everything okay?” Cesc asked peeking around the room, it was rare that he ever used Penelope’s office; it was her personal space where she worked and he didn’t want to mess anything up.

Lia cuddled into her father’s arms as he held her, it had been two weeks since they had come to stay with Penelope and things were going well.

It was the middle of August and the new football season was starting in a few days’ time, Cesc was busy training with his new team-mates and adjusting to life back in London; he knew he couldn’t have done it without Penelope.

Cesc’s first official match for his new team would be an away match, they would be playing Burnley and Cesc was a little nervous; he would be leaving Lia home with Penelope for more than a day.

“How about I take you out to lunch?” Cesc said smiling at Penelope, he was insisted that he helped Penelope with the bills and such since she refused to allow him to pay rent.

Cesc enjoyed taking Penelope out to one of the small café’s near her home and treating her to lunch; he loved going out with her and Lia and it made him feel better.

Penelope smiled as she looked at Cesc, she didn’t know how he made her feel better but she knew that he was just her friend; she wasn’t going to get her hopes up for anything more.

***

“You look nice today,” Cesc said smiling at Penelope as they found a seat, she was wearing a red utility blouse and black cord skinny jeans paired with brown suede trouser boots.

Penelope blushed a little and looked away from Cesc, she peeked at him as he settled Lia into a high chair; she knew that he didn’t mean it in the way that she wanted him to.

Penelope cleared her throat as she reached over for a menu, she focused on it while she tried to think of something else other than Cesc; she knew he was still hurting after what had happened and she was sure that he didn’t see her as more than his best friend.

“Do you know what you want?” Penelope asked chewing on her lip, she looked at Cesc as he chuckled and shaking his head; he took a menu for himself, he didn’t know what was up with Penelope lately but she had been a little off.

Penelope looked out of the window, it was lovely summer weather and it made her wonder how long it would last; it was England and there was no doubt in her mind that it would rain soon.

“I think I’ll have the ham and cheddar toastie,” Cesc said putting down his menu, he stared at Penelope knowing that she was doing so much for him; he wished that there was something that he could do in return.

Penelope had not only took him and Lia in when they had come to London but she was also watching his daughter while he was at work; she wasn’t expecting any payment from him.

“I’ll have the smokehouse chicken and bacon panini,” Penelope said smiling at Cesc, she spotted someone coming over to them so that they could take their order.

Penelope recognised her as Mrs Collins, who opened the café that they were sat in; she had seen the woman often enough recently.

“What can I get you?” Mrs Collins asked looking at the two, she smiled while Cesc carefully told her what they wished to order as well as some fruit for Lia.

Mrs Collins nodded her head, she smiled softly looking between the beautiful couple before her; she loved to watch them and their little girl, they were a lovely family.

“You have such a beautiful family,” Mrs Collins said not being able to help herself, she liked seeing families like this and it was so rare to see families like this anymore.

Penelope blinked as she stared at the woman, she didn’t have the heart to correct her that she and Cesc weren’t together; let alone the fact that she wasn’t Lia’s mother.

“We aren’t a family,” Cesc said sharply, he looked at Mrs Collins knowing that she hadn’t meant any harm but Penelope was just a friend.

Penelope flinched a little, she knew that she shouldn’t have been surprised by what Cesc had said since it was true; it hurt however that Cesc had denied it so quickly.

Mrs Collins blinked as she stared at Penelope, she could see that the brunette was hurt by what Cesc had said; she could see that there was something more to this small family.

“Penny’s my best friend,” Cesc said trying to clear this up, he didn’t see Penelope as anything more and she was always going to be his best friend no matter what.

Penelope looked away as Mrs Collins left, she shouldn’t have expected anymore and she knew that she would never be anything more than his best friend; no matter how much she wished otherwise.

***

Penelope smiled as she carefully picked up Lia so that they could head home, she peeked at Cesc as he made sure that he had everything; she truly didn’t know how Daniella had been able to leave him.

“Are you ready?” Cesc asked smiling, he loved spending time with his two favourite girls and he was sure that everything was going to get better for him and he knew that it would all work out.

Penelope nodded her head as she balanced Lia on her hip, she held the little girl close to her as she slowly followed Cesc out of the restaurant; she flashed a small smile at Mrs Collins as they left.

Stepping out into the cool August air, Penelope shivered a little before starting to walk towards her red Audi A1 so that she could get Lia out of the cold.

Cesc walked beside her, he peeked at Penelope realising how quiet she had been for a little while now; he guessed that she was thinking about her book again.

Penelope slowly opened her car and popped Lia into her seat so that they could head back to her home; she knew that she couldn’t spend all her time sulking over something that she knew wasn’t going to change.

Cesc watched Penelope for a moment wondering if he had said something to upset her, he opened his mouth to say something before he was interrupted.

“Cesc,” squealed two voices making Cesc freeze, he only had time to turn around before the two small people crashed into him; Maria and Joseph Taktouk clung to the man that had nearly been their step-father.

Penelope felt her blood run cold as her eyes landed on Daniella and her ex-husband Elie Taktouk slowly walked towards them; she had a horrible feeling about what was going to happen.

“Mum look it’s Cesc,” Joseph said excitedly, he had missed the footballer who had been like a father to him for three years while his mother dated him.

Daniella nodded her head slowly, she hadn’t expected to see Cesc so soon but she was pleased that she did; she needed to sort out a custody agreement over Lia.

Elie smirked at the look on Cesc’s face, he was so happy that he had hurt Cesc after what he had stolen Daniella from him.