17

It was science class, and Sam was so depressed that he was just staring at the smart board instead of taking his notes.

"Sam, what's the matter with you?" Mr. Carmen asked when he noticed that Sam wasn't paying attention.

Sam didn't seem to care about anything anymore.

"Sam," Natalie whispered sharply as she prodded Sam's back with her pencil. Sam didn't feel it; his emotional pain was masking it.

The bell rang, and everyone but Sam left class.

"Sam, what's wrong?" Mr. Carmen asked.

"She's dead," Sam murmured.

"Who's dead?"

"Cherry."

"I'm so sorry," Mr. Carmen replied as he helped Sam get up. "Come on. You should see the school counselor. She may be able to help."

***

Sam got out of the counselor's office just in time for lunch. He went to the cafeteria, got his lunch, and sat down at the table. He was soon joined by JJ, Maralyssa, Joel, and Caleb.

"I'm so sorry, man," JJ said.

"We're always here if you need to talk to anyone," Caleb said.

Sam looked up and said, "Maralyssa, if you're wanting to say it, just say it."

"What are you talking about?" Maralyssa asked. "Say what?"

"Say, 'I told you so,'" Sam said.

"Why?" Maralyssa asked.

"You were right," Sam said. "They told you right. They actually told you right. She died, and now this is the part where you rub my face in it."

"I'm not that kind of person. I know that they were right, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to rub your nose in it."

"Surprise," Joel said sarcastically.

Shut up, Joel," Sam responded.

"What did he say?" JJ asked.

"Nothing good," Sam muttered loudly. He then suddenly got a thought. He got up and took Joel with him to a random boy.

"Can I help you?" the boy asked.

"Can you see Joel?" Sam asked as he pointed at the confused Joel.

"Depends," the boy said. "Can you see this donut in my hand?" The boy then held up his palm.

"No," Sam muttered as he took Joel to the boy's bathroom.

"What are we doing here?" Joel asked.

"Shush," Sam snapped as he made sure that they were alone, which they were. "Everyone wants me to believe you don't exist."

"Well?" Joel replied. "Who cares if I don't exist?"

"Uh, what do you mean?" Sam asked nervously.

"I'm not actually here, Sam," Joel said.