Chapter 21: True Self

~ True self ~

15 October 1950 ~ Enzo

I’m nailed to the ground as I watch the boy staring at us wide-eyed. It is obvious he is a Whitmore. The dull blue eyes – though not so cold as his father’s – give him away along with the blond locks falling around his face. It is also obvious he has no clue on what we are. I take it Mathew is protecting his younger brother by not telling him what’s been going on in this basement. How old is the kid anyway? Maybe fourteen. Definitely not older than fifteen.

He looks like he is on the verge of a growth spurt, still a kid but also not too young, though his chubby cheeks give away his real age.

His big blue eyes look at Ruby first and then slowly move to me. Lastly he locks eyes with Damon and the boy gazes at his feet immediately.

We all just stare at each other and I feel like we’re staring at him like we’ve never seen a fourteen year old before. He is staring at us like he has never seen a human before. But then of course we’re not humans and we’re behind bars in a basement he didn’t even know about before, so I guess he has reason to.

‘Who are you?’ the boy whispers, his voice tight with fear of the unknown people in the basement. ‘And why are you in my father’s office?’

Damon is the first one to regain his senses while Ruby and I are still gaping at the boy.

‘Office? You’d call this an office? Boy, you must be really naïve not to see your father doesn’t own an office.’ Something in Damon’s voice makes goose bumps rise on the back of my neck and I finally break my eyes away from the kid. I notice the evil spark in Damon’s eyes and the mischievous smile playing upon his lips and then I suddenly remember.

The serum.

I only then notice the boy has been shuffling forward towards Damon’s cell, afraid yet curious about this person being locked away in a forgotten basement. He is almost in Damon’s reach when I regain my senses too just as Ruby does too.

‘No!’ we both scream and the boy jumps away from the cell, but it is too late. Damon lashes out and grabs hold of the dark fabric of his shirt, yanking him forward again.

Without thinking I use my vampire speed to reach the other side of my cell in a nanosecond, but Damon has already pulled the kid away far out of my reach.

‘No Damon!’ I yell at him, my hand reaching through the bars. I know Ruby is clinging at them too, but she is even further away than I am. It doesn’t matter.

We’re both useless.

We watch helplessly as Damon’s face changes and fangs grow. The boy lets out a terrified scream that cuts though the air and Ruby and I watch Damon bite down on his neck hard.

15 October 1950 ~ Ruby

‘Damon!’ My scream fills the room and I hear Enzo’s get stuck in his throat. All I can do is watch the blood fall on the ground, creating a small puddle just outside Damon’s cell. The smell of blood enters my nose uninvited and in no time I feel the hunger take over my body. My fangs have a life of their own and I feel them against my tongue waiting to be satisfied. I try to fight it, try to control it, but I realize how little I’ve been drinking. I’ve given Damon my share of blood for months now and Enzo and I hadn’t had the chance to share blood today. I had let him sleep with the thought we could get through one day without sharing. But now I learn it the hard way.