Hidden Truths

Yay! Chapter 2! I'm especially excited because after this chapter, I get to start on some more exciting scenes that I've been looking forward to sharing for a while.

Anyway, you know the drill. I don't own FMA or the characters/storyline. I DO own my OCs and minor changes in the storyline. Enjoy!

"Damn it, are you kidding?!" were Allister's first words upon arriving at the First Branch of the Central Library, which was now a pile of rubble.

Kaia gagged a bit, "The air stinks here. I can smell all the ashes!"

With a dejected sigh, he stated, "Might as well see if anything survived. Wait here."

Kaia stared blankly at his back as he made his way to the building. After a few paces, she began to follow. She could sense more chi in the building, most likely his colleagues. Strangely though, she sensed the chi of only two of three bodies.

By the time she reached the steps, she could hear their voices more clearly,

"It doesn't look like anything's survived..."

"Even if it does, we need to see if the notes survived!"

"Brother, please! Calm down!"

Her brow furrowed before she climbed the steps and entered the building. Edward and Allister were searching through the ashes. Major Armstrong and Alphonse were off to the side, so she decided to head their way.

"This is quite a mess, isn't it?"

"Hmm? Oh, young lady. You really shouldn't be in here..."

"Don't worry, I'm with him," she jabbed a thumb at Allister, who developed a tick mark.

"And I told you to wait outside!"

"Well, as you can see, I'm not a patient person!"

The major and Alphonse watched the exchange with curiosity. The latter tilted his head, pondering why she looked so familiar...

"Um, excuse me, miss? Who are you?"

She craned her neck to the armored boy and grinned. She stuck her hand out, "Kaia. Kaia Conrad-Wu. And you are...?"

His armor rattled a bit in surprise, finally meeting the girl he had heard a lot about. And from what he could look over, he could see what Allister meant. It was almost too easy to see what she had lost...

Kaia's face turned concerned, "Hey, you okay?"

"O-Oh, sorry! Yeah, I'm okay. I'm Alphonse Elric. It's nice to meet you," he replied and let her hand grasp his to shake.

"Likewise," she turned curious as she felt his hand. "Wow, your hand is huge! Is this armor I'm feeling?"

"Uh, yeah. It is..."

"Well, it's no use. There's nothing here but ash. Everything we were looking for is gone," Edward sighed in frustration.

He and Allister rejoined the group and only just then noticed the newest addition, "Hey, who the hell are you?"

To keep things short and peaceful, Allister decided to get the formalities out of the way,

"Everyone, this is my sister, Kaia. Kaia, you already know Alphonse. This is Edward Elric and Major Armstrong."

They were interrupted by a woman's voice,

"Major Armstrong!"

Two soldiers had appeared, both saluting. Major Armstrong acknowledged them,