3: Acting Catty

He walked away and I calmed down. I still hissed though.

Suddenly, my cage was lifted up and I snarled as I whipped around the best I could to try to get away from the one that was holding me.

I was put on a table and the person unlocked the cage. He stood in front of it and I backed away, noticing too late that I had backed out.

The cage was lifted and I saw that I was on a metal table as two men stood there.

One man came to me and I backed away with a snarl. He came closer and I snapped at his hand. I tried to scratch him but he pinned me.

"Specimen 2453. Female. Twenty-one years old. Part of two main groups and two smaller ones. Collected on twentieth of November with injected tranquilizer blend B2. Metaforming complete on March third. Egg case finished on March eighth. High heat hatched using method E1, first test. Hatching occurred mid-day on March twenty-ninth. Early hatching was supposed result of method E1 heat hatching."

Who was this guy? I tried to use my claws to escape and the man let me go.

I rushed to the back of the table and spun around, snarling as I stepped back slowly. They were watching me like a hawk.

The man suddenly grabbed me again and I screeched. He put me into a wobbly metal container that I had to unfurl my wings to retain my balance. They glanced at the lines at the bottom and recorded it.

"Four pounds and four ounces or 1.9 kilograms," he said, looking at me. "She stands at twenty-three centimeters, or nine inches. Typical height and weight upon hatching. Growth will be monitored."

I was grabbed again and I scratched at the hand that held me, my head being pinned so I couldn't get a bite in.

My arms and legs were moved around. Then, they moved to my wings as they inspected them. All the while, I was hissing and snarling.

"No noticeable mutations or deformities. Before collection, specimen 2453 was noted to choose between fight or flight, also known as picking her battles. She would strategize ways to get back if she chooses fight. These traits have seemed to pass over. Actions are mainly flight until in range with us. Then, she attacks and tries to escape or attacks in different ways."

He was right about me finding different ways. Right now, I was flapping my wings hard against his hand and I got a path to bite him, so I did. But he was wearing those eagle gloves. My bite didn't affect him. Darn.

Then, the man that held me put me into a tray of sand, but I wasn't done just yet. He was still close to me so I lashed my claws out at an uncovered area of skin and he yelped as I pressed myself into the corner of the box, hissing. He soon left the room and the other man scribbled things down.

I suddenly shivered. I looked around but I only saw one heat lamp. I tentatively walked over to it, hissing if the man moved anything other than his hand to take notes.

I sat in the sand and I felt the warm heat. I sighed as I felt the sand around me. It was nice and it reminded me of the cage. There must have been a heat lamp in there.

This lamp had the same heat as the last one, and I was warm enough for me to be comfortable. Time to try out these new wings, as I seem to have control over these legs, I thought dryly. It seemed natural to walk on four legs.

I went to the edge of the table and looked down. Okay, I know what to do, I thought confidently. I am much smaller than I usually am, and I could see those wild cats jumping down from my fence from about six feet high. This table comes up to the men's waist when they stand, giving me about two to four feet. I should just be able to glide down.