V

It was a couple of months after Thanksgiving. Curtis and I had gotten close and he asked me to be his girlfriend. I realized at that point I needed to let him know about the baby.  We were out to dinner and there was a quiet moment in the conversation. I sighed and pushed food around.

"You still haven't answered me about my question..." Curtis broke silence.
I nodded, "I know...I just don't know how you'll feel once I tell you what I need to tell you."
He took my hand across the table, "Amy...I like you a lot. There is northing you could tell me that would scare me away."
"I doubt that." I stated and he sat and waited for me to continue.
I sighed again, "I have been keeping a secret from you, and it's getting to a point where I cannot hide it any longer. You know how Caleb and I were kinda friends with benefits..." Curtis nodded, and I continued, "Curtis...I...I am pregnant...and it is Caleb's..."
Curtis sat in silence for what seemed like an hour. Once he finally talked he brought tears to my eyes, "The baby isn't Caleb's...the baby is mine."

____________________________________________________________

When I went in for my twenty week ultrasound Curtis came with me for the first time. We sat and watched the screen to see the baby wiggling around in me. He acted like any dad would and took a video and asked questions as they measured the baby.
The ultrasound tech got to the point where they would be able to tell the gender of the baby.
"Would you guys like to know the gender?"
Curtis looked at me, "It is up to you babe."
I say yes and she began to look around.
"Looks like you're having a...girl! Congratulations you two."

I smiled at Curtis as he kissed me softly, "Everlynn is going to be just as beautiful as her mom."

____________________________________

A few more months went by and Curtis did his best not to talk to anyone who had connections with Caleb. He told me that Caleb asked about me at work after he started the same position as Caleb, and he promised me that he was quiet about everything. He knew that I wanted him to know nothing. My mom was excited to be a grandmother, and my dad wouldn't talk to anyone at work about me.

I was thirty-nine weeks along when Curtis came home looking worried. I kissed him and asked what was wrong.
"Caleb got transferred to my site and I talk to everyone about you and the baby. Someone asked about the two of you while he was around. He knows you're pregnant Amy. He wanted to talk to you."
I shook my head and started to tear up, "No. I don't want to."
Curtis wrapped his arms around me and rubbed my back, "It is okay. I promise I'll keep him away from you."
Suddenly my phone started ringing. Curtis grabbed it and answered, "Amy is busy and doesn't want to talk to you. Goodbye." He hung the phone up and told me to sit down so he could get me something to eat. I did as he told me and smiled watching him make me some of my favorite vegetables.

That night I started having contractions, but they didn't hurt so I wasn't too concerned. I woke up at 2am to go to the bathroom when I stood up my water broke. I shock Curtis awake.

"Baby. We need to go to the hospital. We gotta go. My water broke!"
He woke up slowly, "Your water broke?"
I nodded, and then remembered I still needed to go to the bathroom. I hurried to the bathroom and heard Curtis mumbling a bit and then shout out when he saw our floor had a small trail of fluid that followed me into the bathroom.
"Babe! Your water broke! We gotta go what are you doing?!"
I laughed, "I know...I told you that...I had to pee! Give me a second."
Within ten minutes he had our bags in his truck and was ushering me out the door. I sent my cousin and my mom a text that I was headed to the hospital and then we left.

Once at the hospital we found out that I was already 7cm and they began asking me when I first felt contractions.
I told them around eight or nine the night before, but that they weren't terrible, and that I slept up until my water had broken. They were shocked, as were we. By the time we were into a room everything was moving faster, and by 10am I was asleep while Curtis was holding Everlynn.