Chapter 16

Finnick POV

Everybody is preparing for war. Everyone is preparing for their death. Weapons pass me by. Weapons are handed to me and the only think I can think is that this will be the cause of someone's death.

And I can't help but wonder about that person. I wonder if they had a future. I wonder if the had a family they're leaving. A child. A lover. A mother.

And I wonder about the people who will lose them. Will they feel like I felt? Will it hurt them? Will they feel as if their whole world has fallen apart? Will they get through this? Or will they just fall apart?

Some sick part of me is happy, they will experience it. So they would taste what it felt like to lose the only thing in the world that mattered to them. What it was like to lose Annie.

The nicer part of me hopes they find someone to end that pain. Someone to help them find a reason to live again. What it feels like to have Katniss.

And just some part in me wishes, they person they find doesn't have another lover, because although everyone it quite heartless, going through the pain of watching someone you love being swept away from you, is not something I would wish upon anyone. Watching my best friend, Peeta, sweep away the one and only thing keeping me together.

Katniss has been stressing this whole week. Her hair is limp, she has bags under her eyes, she is eating less. To make it even worse, she has to put up an act for Peeta even though he too knows something is wrong. To add to that again, Effie just can't seem to act right around Katniss, Peeta, or me.

I told myself I would let anything get in the way of me or Katniss, but after seeing that we were going to attack soon, we both decided it wouldn't be worth it.

The whole district has been quiet. Everything is ghostlike as if everyone can't believe it's actually happening. We are going to attack the Capitol.

Soldiers spend time with their family. With their loved ones. We don't know who's coming back.

I spend my time with Katniss, Peeta, Effie, and Haymitch. Haymitch most of the time is out, but when he's available he spends it with us.

He comes over to our table and slaps it. Everyone jumps and people glance over at us.

"It's the day before we go out and they won't even give me a damn glass of liquor," he mutter angrily.

"And what do you think? You think they're going to let you go into war hungover?" Effie whispers harshly and sternly, a bit mother like.

"No," he returns, "one glass of liquor isn't going to get me drunk sweetheart."

"No. We just can't take any chances," Katniss whispers.

The mood is ruined. War just can't seem to put everything down.

{•}{•}{•}

The air craft is silent. The only noise heard is the engine and tapping of nervous foots. I grab Katniss's hand even though Peeta is on the other side of her.

She looks over to me, her eyes wide and scared.

I mouth the only think on my mind.

"No matter what, we have each other. I love you."