Chapter 2.1: Arriving Fashionably Late with Starbucks

After the trial, we collectively returned to the dining hall in silence.

Makoto was the last to arrive. He had gone to check on Hifumi's room.

"Well?" asked Junko once he returned.

We watched him warily.

"It's... all gone," said Makoto. "Everything. The room is spotless."

"How unfortunate," said Celeste with a heavy sigh. "But I suppose it is for the best. It would be better than leaving that mess to fester and rot."

"Mess?" asked Junko. "How can you even say something like that? You—you're—"

"Coping with the death of a classmate in the best way I can without being given the proper time to grieve?" asked Celeste, her open-mouth surprise seeming more mocking than genuine as she looked at Junko. "Adaptability is how you survive. This is how I chose to adapt. Hifumi was a tragic loss, yes, but he refused to adapt, and so met his demise. Sakura was wandering out at night despite our agreement, and was punished accordingly." She said it so calmly. "This is what happens to those who refuse to adjust to life." She glanced over at Hina—who had been sitting silently at one of the dining hall tables this whole time—but said nothing.

"Say whatever you like," said Junko. "It doesn't excuse the fact that you're acting like a total piece of shit right now!"

"I see no point in tip-toeing around," said Byakuya. "Those who cannot compete in the game will simply fall behind. That is the way it is."

"But you can't just say shit like that, you freak!" said Leon, glaring at Byakuya.

"Yeah," said Junko. "It's seriously fucked up! I don't even know how you can even think any of this is okay!" Even Junko, as crass and vicious as she could be at times, knew Byakuya and Celeste has crossed some unspoken line. There was a time and place for everything, but I was pretty sure trash talking the dead could be filed under the "inappropriate" category.

Celeste was unfazed. "I see," she mused.

"See?" asked Junko. "See what?"

Celeste did not answer her question. "You will die."

"What?" said Junko, as if daring her to continue.

"If you keep on like this," said Celeste, red eyes staring intensely into Junko's, "you will only continue to expose your weakness. You will certainly not survive. Do you understand?" Her patronizing tone was more than I could bear.

I grit my teeth, positively seething. "Well, I think making ominous threats directed at my sister will certainly not help your chances of surviving. Do you understand?" I didn't care if it sounded bad. I didn't care if in reality, I had no plans on killing anybody. Nobody was going to hurt Junko. Nobody.

"Mukuro!" cried Taka with a gasp. "You wouldn't—"

"Try me." My hands were clenched into tight fists.

Despite my anger, I couldn't help but notice that Makoto, who usually was the one to intervene in times like these, was suspiciously silent.

I had no intention of attacking anyone, but as I lurched forward with no real plan in mind, Taka stepped in between me and Celeste, a couple of the other guys ready on the offense in case I tried anything, and once again I felt Kyoko's deliberate gloved hand get a firm grip on my forearm.

"Enough! Two of our friends are dead," said Hina, her voice surprisingly forceful despite the hoarse cracking. "We shouldn't be fighting."

All eyes turned to Hina. I had been forgotten for the moment by everyone—including Kyoko whose hand was still on my arm.