Chapter 43 || Woe Unto Them ||

Allen was slow to rise the next morning, partly because of everything that had happened the previous day, and partly given the cloudy, raining, grey morning. None of it made him particularly eager to jump out of bed before the smell of coffee and bacon reached his room.

He couldn't remember ever having a room of his own before. The only one he had to share with now was the content ball of fur curled up near his neck. The cat gave a soft, groggy meow of protest as Allen got up, but soon had settled back down into a doze as the lanky blonde moved to his dresser.

Gingerly, Allen lifted the bandage over his eye and blinked rapidly, trying to adjust to the light and air. White had begun to overtake it. Allen grimaced a little before splashing some water from the washbowl onto his face and toweling dry and heading downstairs.

The house was probably the size of the McGrath home, but without all the family and children to fill it, it just felt bigger. Betty had taken control of the kitchen already. She was like a new woman, practically floating on air as she rushed around getting the table set and breakfast ready. She asked Albert if he wanted more coffee, and told Allen to wash his hands, and that food would be ready in just a few minutes.

After eating, while Allen was helping his mother clear the table, she pulled him aside and handed him a list of things that she needed from the general store. He, of course, agreed. Allen didn't want to be around anyway when his mother started into her cleaning frenzy. She gave him some extra money for anything he might also want while he was in town. So, he was also pretty sure that it was just as much an excuse to get him out of the house. Allen wasn't going to argue with a proposition like that and happily left the two love birds to their nest while he set out into the pouring rain.

The roads were rivers of mud and water, so going was slow. When he finally got into town, he dropped his horse off at the livery, to have her cleaned and dried while he went about his business.

 When he finally got into town, he dropped his horse off at the livery, to have her cleaned and dried while he went about his business

Abby was lost in a daydream as she listened to the rain pattering on the roof of the store. Her father was pulling an order for Carol Shield, Judge Walter's wife, when Sarah came in, causing Abby to perk up immediately.

"Abby! Do you have a minute?" Sarah asked, but Abby was already coming around the front of the counter.

"What are ya doing out today? The weather's awful," Abby said. She probably would have been more concerned if it wasn't for the smile Sarah was wearing.

"You'll never guess who I just spoke with," Sarah said, hooking her arm around Abby's as they walked towards the large window at the storefront.

"Well, tell me."

"Severin Overton!"

Abby blinked, not sure what to say in light of not really sharing in her friend's excitement over the matter.

Sarah let out an airy sigh. "He's such a gentleman, Abby. So polite and a well-spoken and learned."

Abby smiled at her. "Sounds like a fine prospect."