Chapter 10: No Apologies Necessary

Lily made me come out on a walk around the grounds with her sister and their friend, Severus. Told me I was spending too much time indoors and not enough enjoying the fall colors. She looped her arm through mine whilst Rose did the same on my other side and escorted me to a lovely tree down by the edge of the lake. I'd never seen Snape look so furious. He may be a Slytherin, but green is definitely not his color.

**

Leo awoke the following morning within the white walls of the Hospital Wing, feeling more energized than when he had arrived. Something that he noticed, however, was that he was not alone. Sitting in a chair next to his bed was none other than the Headmaster himself, Albus Dumbledore. He held his hands clasped in his lap, a genial smile on his face as he stared upward at the window. Leo followed his gaze and was surprised to see -

"Apollo?" Leo asked incredulously, receiving a low hoot from the owl before he swooped down to roost on the bedpost above Leo's head.

"That is quite the feathered friend you have there, Mr. Black," Dumbledore informed him with a smile. "He found me this morning at breakfast and wouldn't let me eat until I brought him to see you."

"Yeah, he's rude like that," Leo grinned, the twinkle in his eyes betraying affection and amusement in equal measure. He then frowned. "Sir, if all you came to do was deliver my owl, why're you still here?"

"I came to get your side of the story about what happened last night," the old man informed him.

"Pretty sure Hermione already told Professor McGonagall – didn't she tell you?" the blonde inquired.

"Ah, yes, she did," Dumbledore nodded slowly. "But I think you and I both know that Miss Granger was not being entirely truthful about last night's events, and so I decided to give you the opportunity to 'come clean', as it were."

Leo remained silent; his lips pressed into a thin line.

"Your loyalty to your friends is admirable, Mr. Black," Dumbledore inclined his head slightly. "Rest assured, they will not face any sort of consequences for whatever happened last night. I have merely come to satisfy an old man's curiosity."

"Quid pro quo, sir," Leo raised an eyebrow. "You tell me about your night, and I'll tell you about mine."

Dumbledore was silent for a moment before informing him of what had happened at the Halloween feast. Leo had to suppress a snort of laughter when he heard about Quirrell fainting, and couldn't help but frown as Dumbledore told him about the instructions he gave to the students.

"So, Professor Quirrell said the troll was in the dungeons?" Nod. "And because of that you sent the students to their dorms?" Another nod. "Aren't the Slytherin dorms in the dungeons?"

Dumbledore was silent for a moment, his mouth slightly open and his brow furrowed in thought. After a minute, he inclined his head toward Leo and said, "An oversight and a mistake on my part, Mr. Black. Now that you have brought this to my attention, I shall endeavor to ensure that such a mistake does not happen again."

"You mean the next time a mountain troll breaks into the school?" Leo grinned, receiving a small smile in response. "Well, suppose it's only fair that I told you 'bout my night now..."

He told Dumbledore about going to find Hermione after discovering that she had been hiding in the bathroom all day following Ron's rude comment. He didn't go into detail about what he and Hermione talked about, given that he didn't necessarily see it was any of the old man's business. He spoke of the troll appearing, Hermione screaming, his use of the Smokescreen Spell, and the fiery shield he had conjured in an attempt to protect them.