The Recruitment

A few minutes later, after taking things in, I was ready to talk again.

"Okay Silver, I think I've answered all your questions for now?" Dr Jackson asked, patiently awaiting anything else I wanted to question.

"I think that's it, thanks" I replied, smiling.

"Well then," Dr Jackson went on, his smile also broadening, "I'm going to introduce you to one of our students to show you around the real school, so you can get a feel of what it's actually like, not just these fake corridors!"

There was a knock at the door and Dr Jackson gestured for someone to come in. A girl who looked around my age walked in, her blonde hair framed her perfect face, her blue eyes looked welcoming, and her lips curled into a friendly smile.

"Hey, I'm Aurora" She said warmly.
"But call me Rory, I ain't no princess" Her South London accent was strong and added a slight edge to her that her looks and name didn't give.

I laughed. "I'm Silver"

I got the feeling we would get on just fine.

"Anyway, Rory will show you around below, and just report back here once your done and we'll figure out all the boring admin stuff after. Sound good?" He asked.

"Sounds great, thank you"

My chair screeched along the floor of the room as I pushed it back to stand up. Reaching forwards, I began to shake Dr Jackson's hand, grinning st the prospect of a new life at the school.

The second our fingers touched, I felt a surge of energy in what felt like some kind of electric shock jump from his hand to mine.

Above my head, the light exploded, and glass rained down on our heads. I covered by head with my hands in an attempt to protect myself and threw myself to the floor, as did Rory and Dr Jackson.

When the glass stopped falling, I looked up towards the door, and saw that one by one, the lights in the corridor brightened and blew out until darkness filled the hallways and the office we were in.

The sound of shattering glass filled my ears.

I craned my neck to turn to Dr Jackson, who was sat with a look of bewilderment on his face.

"Dr Jackson, what was that?" I asked nervously. Rory looked equally as worried.

"I don't know, it wasn't me - though I'm the only one who could have done it - my gift is electricity." He stammered, almost to himself, and I could feel him turning over the possibilities in his head and his hand shaking from shock.

"Rory- your gift is telekinesis, but nothing that could do this. Everyone else is too far underground."

He looked up towards me and his confused expression intensified.

"Dr Jackson?" I questioned.

"Silver, your eyes...They're glowing."