the funeral

It was finally the day.

The Joker has stayed at the hideout to work, but had gotten one of the henchmen to drop me off at the venue that the funeral was going to occur at. The door was slammed behind me, and I stood there awkwardly, looking for anyone whilst the car pulled away.

I fanned myself with my hand - it was a nice day for Winter, but this black long sleeved dress was attracting the heat quite a bit. That and I was slathered in suncream to protect my very fragile skin against the sun, which kind of made me uncomfortable. Weren't funerals usually on dreary, rainy days? Why was it today, when I had enough to deal with, did I have to deal with the sun of all things?

I was in a cemetery, surrounded by hundreds of graves, and lush, tall, green trees. Birds chirped and I smiled to myself, I was always told Gotham was dull and cold, but the cemetery seemed so nice. What an oxymoron.

A crematorium was the only building I could see, and so I headed toward it. It was a small grey structure, with stone statues of weeping figures adorning the walls; ivy crept around each orifice, so in places it looked like it was painted green. The door was large and wooden, and I was about to push it open, when the whirring of an engine sounded, and a large black car pulled into where the henchman has dropped me off. I stood with my back to the crematorium, and watched as the whirring died down. A door opened and a pair of legs slipped out of it; black pantyhose and tall black high heels.

The woman who they belonged to wore a long black dress with black gloves, and adjusted the large black hat on top of her butt-length red hair. Dark shades hid most of her face, apart from her lips that were topped with dark red lipstick. She had natural grace, and my eyes widened as she stood up.

A second woman exited the car along side her, with just as long legs, and a sleek black dress. She had curly coppery hair, and a tanned face covered in freckles.

She sighed, patting down her dress. "Was a dress really necessary? Geesh I wish I'd just worn some jeans, I think I'm getting a wedg-" she started, looking rather uncomfortable.

The first woman slapped her lightly on the arm. "Violet, can you please just act like a lady for at least a day?" she sighed, adjusting her glasses.

"Sorry, mom." the other replied, holding back laughter by covering her mouth.

"Are you here for the funeral?" I asked, as they headed toward me.

The older one ignored me, walking around me and through the door of the crematorium. I flushed red at her just blanking me, but the younger one gave me a friendly smile.

"Yes, the woman who died was a friend of my mom's and so I'm here to offer support. I'm sad to say I didn't really know her, though." she answered, looking around. "Hey are you on your own?"

I sighed. "Yeah, my dad left me here. He's got a lot of work to do, you see." I replied, my voice a little shaky. I was usually good at social situations even with people I didn't know, but because of grief I was a short way from breaking down and crying. My lip quivered and my eyes brimmed with tears.

The girl gave a look of concern, and put a hand on my back. "Come on, you can sit with my mom and I, everything will he just fine." she consoled.

I smiled, wiping my tears away and looking up at her face. Her brown eyes were kind, and weren't puffy from crying in the slightest, unlike mine. I could tell that she'd never met my mother before, as Jude was sweet, and if you had you would be nothing but devastated at her death. Well I guess it was Harleen now, not Jude; I was still getting used to that.

The two of us walked into the building, and took a seat on the pew next to the older woman. She was unbothered, just staring at nothing through her black sunglasses, ones that she didn't even decide to take off indoors.