03

• Let Me Care •

The song with This chapter is '15 step - Radiohead'

➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝

"Sophia Winters" I said smirking, as I sat on the chair adjacent to her.

"Ashton Fletcher Irwin" she said, a grin plastered on her face. She was reading a book, the cover was blank and battered, and the pages were torn.

"How'd you find out my middle name?" I asked, confused.

"That's doesn't matter. She replied, not taking her eyes away from the book in her hands.

"What're you reading?" I questioned.

"purple hibiscus" she told me, emotionlessly.

"I've never heard of it. Is it good?" I asked.

"No, not really, it's quite boring actually, but I've got nothing better to do than read it." She explained.

"Oh.. So, um, are you alright?" I tried to make conversation.

"I'm in an insane asylum, do you really expect me to be alright?" She replied.

"No, sorry, um, yeah I understand" I said awkwardly.

"You can go now." She said, turning a page of her book.

"I don't want to." I stated.

"Look, Irwin. I don't need your pity, I don't need you to be my friend. I've been here for a long time now, and I've gotten by just fine on my own." She explained bluntly.

"I don't pity you Sophia. I want to talk to you, because you're intriguing.and yeah, I barely know you, but I know you don't deserve to be in here, And you can help me, you've been here long enough, you can help me understand the ins and outs of this place...and I know you're scared to be here, even though you put up such a tough front to hide behind, you're fucking terrified inside, and I understand, I can relate to that. Please Sophia, I really care, please let me care."

"Thank you, but fuck you" she said, smiling widely.

"W-what?..but, Sophia I-" I stuttered, confused.

"Irwin. Stop. Nothing you say or is going to make me open up to you. I'm broken, and I don't want to drag you into my mess of a life." She said.

"Honey, I became part of it as soon as I got put in this asylum. I need a friend in here Sophia, I've got no one, and neither have you. I'm not gonna give up on you" I explained.

She got up and walked out of the common room without muttering another word, leaving me completely stunned and in a daze.

➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝➝