Chi the Hellhound

There are creatures called "hellhounds" that exist in folklore. Hellhounds are basically dogs. Big, black, vicious dogs with super strength and glowing red eyes.

Some legends state that they guard the entrances to the land of the dead, such as graveyards. There's even a legend that believes hellhounds can control fire. This world is full of myths and legends, but the thing is, there's almost always some truth to them.

A family in Texas was just moving to California, they didn't have the money to fly, so they decided to drive. It wasn't that much of a distance, though the trip would take a day or two.

In the family was a brown haired woman named Marie, a blonde man by the name of John, and their daughter, a light blonde haired little girl named Millie, who was about nine years old. They also had a dog, Chi, who was a golden retriever. Chi had long, smooth dark golden fur. She was a playful dog, yet also protective. She always chased away any kids who picked on Millie, and watches over her.

As the family drove, Chi was in the back with Millie, wagging her tail and watching as cars and trees zoomed by. She was more curious as they drove through a sort of desert near the Mexican border, watching the cacti and tumbleweed. After they exited the desert, they came into a broken down town, with houses that were falling apart. People in this town didn't seem to be too nice, and all of them seemed on edge.

As they were driving, the car broke down and they stopped on the edge of the road near a more decent looking shack. John tried to figure out what was wrong with the car, looking around in the engine, but he couldn't see very well due to the setting sun. An old man came out from his shack, seeing the family, and went over to them.

"Excuse me, but if you can't get your car running I'd be glad to let you stay in my place for the night." Said the man with a kind smile to John and Marie. John looked at his wife, who smiled and nodded, then said "Yes, we'd appreciate that very much. Thank you, sir."

"Not at all, miss. I'm glad to help those who need it." The man replied, then led them inside.

"Millie, come inside with us, and bring Chi." Her mother said back to Millie, and the child nodded and walked inside with Chi.

When they got inside, the old man began to prepare a meal. "You must be hungry; I'll make us a dinner. There's an empty room at the end of the hall with a bed, you can stay there."

"Oh, thank you." Marie smiled, then she and her husband went to the room. Millie followed her parents, but Chi stayed in the room with the old man, scowling at him. Ever since they'd entered the building, Chi had a bad feeling about this man.

The man noticed Chi staring and chuckled, then took out a raw piece of steak and set it on the floor in front of her. "Suspicious one, aren't you? No need to worry, girl, I won't hurt you or your owners." He then patted Chi's head, and continued preparing a meal for the family. Chi relaxed a bit, then sniffed at the steak. Nothing bad, as far as she could smell. She then took a bite, and began to wag her tail. It was good! She proceeded to eat the steak, then left to Millie after finishing.

That night, the family enjoyed a meal and nice conversations with the man. After eating, they talked and laughed. Chi watched, happy the family was having a good time. She now trusted the old man fully.

It was a quiet night, the stars and moon were clear on the soft black and blue sky. The chirping of crickets, and other insects sounded through the night, like a smooth lullaby swimming through the town. Chi and her family were asleep in the spare room the old man offered them. The man quietly opened the door to the room, a sharpened dagger in hand. As he made his way to the bed, a floorboard creaked, and Chi jerked awake, tilting her head at the man.