Not Perfect Enough

Annabelle

I stood with Lou as he waited for the new group of dolls to join us. He had his hands behind his back and his eyes closed while he waited, dressed in his usual black suit with his hair neatly swept to the side. I was dressed in a long white dress that had butterflies swarming together on it. My black hair was braided and pulled back in a ponytail like it always was, and a delicate white rose was placed in my hair.

"Lou?" I whispered.

"Yeah?" He opened his eyes ever so slightly and looked at me, the striking ocean blue making me catch my breath.

"I'm a little nervous." I muttered.

"What are you nervous about?"

"I've never done this. Taught others, I mean. It's only been a few weeks since I was sitting in those chairs."

"Then just watch me. Stand there and look pretty today, and you'll try it out tomorrow."

I elbowed him in the side, and he chuckled as the new dolls began to take their seats. I took the small amount of time that they gave us as they sat down to stand in front of him and fix the small strand of his hair that was out of place. He smiled and ran his fingers along my jawline before I stood beside him once more, standing with my hands clasped together behind my back. We both looked to the new dolls and smiled, speaking together.

"Welcome to the Institute of Perfection!"

~

"You look perfect today, Annabelle!"

I turned to whoever spoke and smiled, waving to let them know that I had heard them. I giggled when their friend hit them.

"She looks perfect everyday!" He snapped at the boy.

I blew a kiss to the two boys just as Lou took my hand. He waved to the two boys, and we walked together toward the washer and chairs. He had already gotten the group of dolls from yesterday to start practicing on the obstacle courses, and a few had apparently gotten dirty while I was speaking with the dolls who were going to be running the Gauntlet later in the day.

"You two are perfect together!" Another doll yelled out.

I looked to Lou and smiled, and I was surprised when he leaned over to kiss my cheek. He smiled, and I hid my face as my blush worsened.

"After you." He stated when we reached the stairs that led up to the stage the washer stood on.

I giggled as I walked ahead of him, and he clapped his hands as he stood beside me. The two robots that were in charge of the washer pulled the curtains back, and one of them opened it. Lou ushered the dirty dolls in. One was covered in flower, and another was caked in paint. The third had large wads of gum stuck to them.

"What would you like to do today?" Lou asked as the washer turned on, looking at me. "Watch the dolls learn to be perfect or do something else?"

"I was having fun talking to the dolls who were asking questions." I said.

"I can join you if you'd like."

"Shouldn't you watch the new dolls?"

"Kitty and the others have it under control."

"Are you sure you want to join me?"

"As long as we take breaks from their questions."

"Of course. I won't even subject myself to that torture for more than an hour at a time."

He chuckled, and he offered his hand to me. I smiled softly at him as I placed my hand in his, and we walked together to the main stage. He stepped up onto the stage first and made sure I didn't trip as I followed behind him. He took a small remote out of his back pocket and offered it to me.