Mistletoe

January 2019

"Can you two get a room?"

"Nakakabit na naman yang mga balakang niyo."

"Kakabalik pa lang natin, naghaharutan na kayo agad?"

It was a series of complains from our friends that me and Jho had to ignore. She continued fixing my hair into a ponytail as I lean towards her while I was feeding her with fries as we all sat down on the soccer field under this big tree that has it branches sprawled into the air. We were all in a break and wanted to spend the time catching up but it turns out it's just me, jho, and other girls on their period.

"Ano ba nangyari nung pasko ha? Sa pagkaka-alala ko ay nag-away kayo tapos ganyan na kayo? May nangyari ba nung umuwi kayong lasing ha? ha? HA!" I threw a fry towards Maddie and she instinctively tried to catch it with her mouth only to have it hit her right eye. HA! Buti nga sayo. Jho was about to throw the hairbrush at Maddie too but laughed when she saw what happened.

"May point din naman si Maddie. Someone called me the next day crying because she was so upset, I won't reveal who it was. You two would know." Kat said.

I instantly looked at Jho who had burning cheeks and was looking away from me. "You were crying? Why?"

She shakes her head and continues to look away from me. It was getting ridiculous so I held onto her cheek and made her look at me. I was studying her eyes and she looked so vulnerable. I gave her a reassuring smile to calm her thoughts.

"I'm not judging you, you can just tell me what the problem was."

"We don't really need to discuss though, diba okay naman na tayo?"

"I texted you the moment you left my room pero hindi ka nagreply. kay Janel ko pa nga nalaman na nakauwi ka ng maayos. You could've just called me when you felt bad."

"I know, I'm sorry. Hindi ko nga alam bakit ako nagkakaganon kaya di na ko tumawag sayo kasi baka pagalitan lang kita at hindi naman credible ang pagpapahirap ko sayo. Hindi na po mauulit."

I nod and smile, I rub my thumb on her cheeks before feeding her another fry,

"Ayan, binuking-buking mo pa kaya mas lalong nagharutan sa harap natin." Deanna complained but was smiling to us. "Teka nga, kamusta New year niyong dalawa?"

"Bakit ba kami yung pulutan ng usapan?" I asked.

"Eh bakit? Sino ba dito ang makulay ang buhay? Kayo lang namang dalawa." Maddie reasoned out.

"Wala naman, nag new year lang kami kina Bea. Simpleng party lang tsaka fireworks."

"Actually, yung pinagtataka ko talaga is... bakit may mistletoe nung New Year sa inyo, Bei?" Deanna bluntly asked which almost made my eyes pop out and had Jhoana choke on her drink.

"Aba aba. Parang may hindi ata kayo shinishare." Kat teases.

"Wala!" I shouted a little louder than I intended.

"Ay talaga ba? May natanggap akong video mula kay Janel eh. Matingnan nga ulit-"

"Tatadyakan kita diyan Deanna WONG!"

-

New Year's Eve

Me and Jho were watching Goosebumps with the kids on the living room. My little cousin Tanya was sitting on Jhoana's lap and was giggling nonstop at every scene and on my lap was our family friend's son Lucas. We kept teasing the two because they were about the same age ang Lucas would usually make a sour face but I swear he was so soft towards Tanya. He would unconsciously give in to anything Tanya asks of him to do. These kids starting it young.