8

You see me, sweetheart.

***

"OKAY GIRLS, JUST a short review. What are the strategies that you need to know when a situation arises?" I asked them as they sat down on the rubber mat. "One is?" I counted on my finger.

They chorused, "Trust your instincts."

My eyes landed to Caitriona who was sitting in the middle. It had been two weeks since the incident, and so far, she was active and had participated in the class.

She smiled and raised her hand. "Practice target denial."

"Right. When you have the opportunity to escape a situation before it goes bad, take it. Next is?"

The door swung open. My girls got distracted, heads turned to the door, then Kian walked in.

"Hey! Sorry, girls. You have a new classmate, say hi to Brooklyn."

My world stopped. And when she smiled and waved to the girls, I thought she was the most stunning woman I'd ever seen. Everyone in the room disappeared at my sight, and all I could see at this moment was Brooklyn.

Then our gazes met.

Fuck. Me.

She smiled—the kind of smile that blew me away. And sucked the air out of me. I felt my lips spread wide to smile back.

My eyes flicked to Kian outside the door laughing silently, holding his abdomen, then walked away after a salute. Fuck! He got me there.

I took a deep breath to contain my happiness and to control my wild heartbeat. I cleared my throat and scratched my beard. My girls turned back to look at me.

"Girls, five minutes break, okay?" When my girls scattered around, I looked back to Brooklyn. "Hi, did you already fill up the form?" What was that? I almost chuckled.

"Um, yeah, but I have a few questions if you don't mind." She shrugged, her eyes seemed twinkling with amazement as she smiled.

"Yeah, of course. Follow me." I led her way to Kian's office.

The tension between us quickly thickened, and I couldn't ignore it as my heart was going loopy.

"I'll be outside, you can handle it." It was more of a request from Kian than a statement.

Once Kian was out and the door shut behind him, I started stalking around the room, trying hard to strengthen my thoughts, but I couldn't think of anything to start until the silence became uncomfortable.

"You don't seem happy to see me." Her voice stilled me, and there was a hesitation in her words. You have no idea.

I turned around. "What is your purpose of enrolling yourself in, Brooklyn?" I asked, sounded like a snap, and met her gaze.

Her eyes widened, mixed of surprised and conflict. "Is this an interview or part of your tricks?"

"Just answer me with honesty." I let my gaze roam over her face. I absorbed every detail on her as I might not see her again.

"I left because I thought something was holding you back and Imogen mentioned your ex. I thought you're not over her, and it would be awkward after we kissed then we will treat each other like nothing happened back at the hospital room. Then—"

"Then you decided all by yourself."

"I got the answer. Answers actually." She pressed her lips tight and pulled something out from her tote.

She handed it to me. It was a white envelope. My brows furrowed in confusion to see the name of a laboratory printed in green. "Imogen showed that to me, and—"

"And?"

"This." She held out the old photo of my sister.

I swallowed hard and stepped away. "So?"

"We're not related."

"And?"

"Come on, Arrow. You broke your promise, and I hate people promising me something then they're just gonna break it. My parents took me out of that place, then they left me with my grandma and never came back. Then my ex—"

"I am not your ex," I hissed. I hated being compared to someone I didn't know and someone like her asshole ex.

"I know. I'm sorry. I liked you since we were just kids, but you denied that it was not you back at your apartment. I wanna know why."

"Does it matter?"

"Yes."

"You already get the answer, and I am not good for you, Brooklyn."

"So you don't like me. I mean, that kiss must have meant something, right?" She shrugged.

I leaned against the wall and crossed my arms over my chest, feeling amused and annoyed at the same time. "You must be so desperate to enroll just to explain."

"I am." Her chin trembled, disappointment pricked her eyes.

I huffed and shook my head. "You are better than that."

"I feel safe with you. For the first time in my life since my parents left me, I feel the comfort, your protectiveness. I know you won't hurt me, and I know when I wake up in the morning you'll still there smiling at me. After how many years, I still see the tenderness and warm in your eyes, and in your touch despite your tough, strong, and intimidating nature. There will never be another man that makes me feel like you do, Arrow."

My heart ached in my fucking chest to her confession, then it shattered into tiny pieces as she placed the photo back into her bag and ready to walk away again.

"We're not done," I blurted out.

She paused, her eyes glittered with tiny hope as she glanced at me.

"Don't fucking leave me like that again." My voice broke to the emotions filling inside my chest. I sauntered toward her, pulled her willowy body into me, and wrapped her my arms.

Brooklyn snaked her arms around me. "Is there a rule that forbids the student to kiss her trainer?"

A low laugh rumbled in my chest. "I don't fucking care. I will break it every minute."

She pulled herself away, then lifted her chin, cupped my face, and glanced at me. "I never thought I'd be able to see this face again. I may not see this crystal clear right now, but I intend to stay long until I can see the most gorgeous man I've ever seen."

I stared at her—those beautiful hazel eyes sparkled again. "You see me, sweetheart."