Chapter 6: The Denouement (PART 2)

It was the day of Pragya's marriage registry with Raghav. Pragya was leaving back for the States in another four days. Her vacation was nearing it's end and her and Raghav's family wasn't ready to wait for another year before getting her and Raghav married. Of course, there was no time to set up an elaborate wedding - hence the couple convinced every one of a quick registry and a dinner for the time being. Raghav and Pragya were planning to come back again in another six months and then celebrate their reception with family and friends. As Abhi stood before the mirror with his fists curled in tension, he didn't know how to react. It had been two days since the dinner at Abhi's and no one knew this was coming. Purab had called the night before to inform Abhi. Only daadi, Aaliyah, Abhi were to accompany the Khanna's and Raghav and his sister's family to the registrar's office for the wedding. Was it too late to tell anyone about Raghav's true nature thought Abhi feverently. No, he couldn't sit and watch Pragya take the next step without knowing Raghav's true intention. He had to tell her, and then she could decide.

As Abhi barged into the Khanna's apartment, Purab looked up surprised. "Bhai, you're here so early? We weren't leaving for the registrer until 11am. Anyway come in. And where is daadi and Aaliyah?"

"Purab, I need to talk to Pragya."

"Bhai, what is it about?" Purab looked serious.

"I can only tell her that"

"Bhai. I think we have already gone over that ---"

"Purab, I know. I remember. This is different -just let me talk to her"

Bulbul had walked out of the kitchen to hear their conversation. "Purab, if Abhi wants to talk to di once, just let him nah"

"Bulbul you're not understanding---" started an irritated Purab, but Pragya had walked into the room by then.

"Purab, it's fine, I want to know what Abhi has to say" replied Pragya curiously.

"But di, today you have the registry, why are you meddling in all this - you and bhai can talk tomorrow right?"

"Pragya, I need to tell you something before your wedding" blurted Abhi, looking at Pragya.

"See di. This is why I was saying. And Abhi, no. I told you before, you can't do this again. I will not---"

"What is it Abhi?" Pragya cut across Purab.

"Not here, I want to talk to you privately."

"No bhai, you're pushing me now. I cannot let you harm the interest of my sister one more time!"

"Abhi, please tell me what you want to say in front of Purab and Bulbul." Whispered Pragya.

"Pragya, its about Raghav. He is not right for you --- " began Abhi

"Just shut up bhai. Just shut up!" screamed Purab.

Bulbul came in between them. "Purab, calm down. If di wants to know, we can't stop Abhi. Let him finish please"

"Thanks Bulbul. Yes Pragya, the other day when Raghav and I were drinking at my dinner? We got talking. Pragya he doesn't love you. He doesn't even care for you. He is indifferent of you. He thinks you're his trophy wife. Pragya you had chosen Raghav for finding happiness...is this how you will get it?" questioned Abhi and he was breathing hard.

"Rubbish. Di don't believe him. He is about to do what he has done in the past, he is going to end up ruining your life again" shouted Purab in anger.

"Abhi, what are you saying?" asked Pragya in surprise.

"Yes, chashmish, that is exactly what he told me. Now you tell me chashmish, how will you ever find happiness in life with him? I couldn't let you take such a wrong step, not when I am around. Pragya please reconsider your decision."