Chapter 2: Introduction I

As I was walking to room 5, I got more anxious. What if I didn't get along with my team? What if we didn't win anything? What if.. I didn't make it? Then my mom would be all alone. Maybe it would have been better if I had just stayed with her. We would starve, but we would starve together. The choice had been brutal.
I was so lost in my self-pity that I almost walked past the door. I walked into the room and was a bit overwhelmed. There were already five people in there. I just awkwardly smiled and said: 'Hi.'
They all raised their hands and mumbled some kind of hello. It seemed that they all claimed their beds already.
There were five bunks, so beds for ten people. Because 500 people had sign up for this, that meant 50 teams of ten people. That was quite a lot. I saw an empty bed in the far left corner and walked over there. I shoved my bag on the top bunk.

The next few minutes another four people walked in. It was just as awkward as earlier. When we all picked our own bed (without too much arguing) one of the girls stood up. 'Shall I introduce myself first?' She looked very strong, as someone who you should not mess with. Some of us nodded. 'Okay then.. My name is Anna Finch. I am prepared to fight, but I play to win.' Which basically meant she would leave us behind if it meant she would survive. Good to know. 'Further, I am 25 years old; the maximum age to play. And I have had professional training in axe fighting. I have been training for this for a while now.' I felt a bit threatened and uncomfortable, but I think that was her intention. 'And now, come on, tell me what y'all have in store.'

A guy stepped forward: 'My name is James, I am 21 years old. I am hoping to get along with you all.' After he said that he glanced angry at Anna. 'I have had only basic training at high school. After that I studied history, before dropping out and signing up for this.' He sat down again. 'I will pray for our victory.'
The guy had short black hair. Everything about this guy looked professional, as if he just walked out of a classroom as a teacher. Only he was wearing a dark blue hoodie and black jeans.
He actually seemed pretty interesting. But I was already afraid that a fight would break loose between him and Anna.