Chapter 5: You're Not The Only One Suffering

When I woke up, I wanted to go see Rach as soon as possible, but I couldn't. I had missed enough days of school. I needed to go.

I arrived at school and directly went to my locker. "Hey man, you good? It's been a long time since you came to school" Vic stood next to me. He was the leader of the football team. Victor is an African American with brown eyes.

I shook my head. "No. Tell me how can I be good if the girl I love DOESN'T EVEN FREAKING REMEMBER ME? Tell me... HOW?" I yelled at him. A lot of students started to stare at us, wondering what was happening, why I was yelling like that.

He decided to whisper so that the others wouldn't hear our whole conversation. "Look, I know it's hard for you, but you're not the only one suffering right now. She's my lil sister, I care about her... and she doesn't remember me either. I'm pretty sure that I have never seen Kory cry that much. She didn't even come to school today, she's at home, crying her heart out in Rich's arms. We're all sad and angry too, angry at the situation. But you don't have to put all your anger and frustration on us" I stared at the ground in shame. Vic was right, they had lose her too, they had all lost Rachel too.  I wasn't the only one suffering, Rachel wasn't the only one suffering either. We all suffered, Victor, Kory, Dick, they had lost their sister. By the time Victor had finished talking, the others had already stopped staring at us.

"I'm sorry dude" I still kept my head down.

"It's okay, I know how much you love her... don't worry, she'll remember" The bell rang so I got my things and walked to my class.

I had math. Just like Vic said, Dick wasn't there. I sat in the back of the class. I didn't listen to the teacher. I was drawing in my notebook as I searched for a way to help Rae remember. "Garfield? Garfield Logan? Garfield Mark Logan!" I looked up. The teacher seemed really mad. "I asked you a question" Everyone was looking at me, some were talking, some were just waiting, while some others laughed quietly. I glanced at my red haired friend, Wally West. He mouthed the answer. I didn't understood so he murmured it and made sure the man wouldn't hear or notice him. "254" He whispered.

"254-" I glanced at Wally again, he nodded. "The answer is 254" The teacher sighed and went back to the board. I looked at my friend and mouthed a "Thanks" he turned around and continued working.

—Lunch Time—

I was going to go sit with Stone, but he was already sitting with the whole football team so I decided to sit alone. I wasn't eating, the food wasn't good anyway. I just played with it, stared at it and often glanced at my phone on the table. I left my fork fall into the plate. I couldn't stop thinking about Rachel and what would happen. Where would she go? Would she stay with us?

Someone sat in front of me on the round table. "Are you okay?" I glanced at the person. It was Wally West. I shook my head. "I heard she didn't remembered anything... is it true?" I sadly nodded. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. It must be hard"

I was still staring at my plate, I took the fork and played with the food again. "Oh yes it is, of course it is..." I looked back at him. "She can't remember me, you, Dick or anyone for that matter" I gestured.

He took a deep breath. "She'll remember, I'm sure of it... but acting like that won't get her memories back faster" 

I glared at him. "What do you mean by 'acting like that'?" I was angry, but not at Wally. I was angry at the situation. He was clearly referring to my attitude when I talked to Victor.  

"You should try to calm dow-"

I stood up and hit my fists on the table. I could feel the people's stares on me. "CALM DOWN?! You want me to calm down! SHE DOESN'T F****** REMEMBER ME! AND YOU WANT ME TO JUS-" I inhaled and then exhaled slowly. I passed my hand through my blond hair. West was staring at me with his widened blue eyes. He was shocked, he had never seen me that frustrated before. I took my phone and walked out of the cafeteria. Victor was going to go after me to try and calm me down, but his girlfriend, Karen Beecher, stopped him, saying that I needed some time alone.

I left the school and walked all the way back home. It wasn't long until I arrived. I was hoping that maybe Rita could help me. 'She probably knows if Rachel is going to stay here'

There was another car in the driveway, a car I had never seen before. I frowned my eyebrows and entered inside the house. Rita and Steve were talking with an unknown man. They saw me and told me to stay quiet and to not bother them. So I went upstairs. It seemed very serious and important. 'Maybe they're talking about work' I thought.

I laid on my bed. I glanced at a picture frame with a photo of me and Rachel. 'God, I miss her so much' I sighed. I needed to go see her now. I couldn't talk to Rita for the moment anyway.

I walked back downstairs with a picture of me, Rachel, Kory, Dick and Victor in my pocket. Just when I was about to turn the door knob, I heard her name. It definitely wasn't a conversation about work. I walked into the living room and my adoptive parents asked me to go back to school. "We'll talk about this later" They said, I sighed in disappointment and ran to the hospital.

I walked into Rae's room. She was with a nurse. The woman was trying to help her remember the best she could, but she didn't knew her personally before the accident so she wasn't of much help. Rach saw me and smiled. "Hey Gar" She waved. The nurse stood up and left me alone with her in relief, knowing that I would be of much more help than her. I placed my bag on the ground and sat in the chair next to her bed.

"Hey, how are you? Do you remember anything yet?" She shook her head sadly. I took out the picture and showed her. We talked for hours and when I came back home, Rita and Steve weren't there since they were doing extra hours at work. I would ask them what they were talking about the next day.