Chapter 5

Marlon POV:

"Oh absolutely not, Louis could fuck this up badly." I told her.

"Oh you got a better idea?" She said. "Only the leaders know how to fight."

"Yeah in fact I do. Clem and I could go."

Violet snorted loudly, receiving an eyebrow raise by me.

"All right, whatever." She shrugged off the idea off.

We sat there, breathing in the cold morning air. Violet loved to come out here, she felt as if she was more productive in the morning than in the evening. The only thing I find awakening in the morning is the ungodly temperature it can reach when it hits winter time. We never have to worry about lookout duty, she volunteers to do it regardless. Most of the other kids just wanted to sleep in, never understanding why Violet was a morning person.

"Then it's settled, we'll head out at 12."

Tenn walked out of the admin building and was talking to Violet about god knows what.

I walked to my dorm and ate an apple that I had in my bag, as my breakfast. When no one is up at this hour, it is really peaceful. Just then Louis walked into my room.

~~~~~~~

Louis POV:

I decided that I needed to talk to Marlon about what we were going to do today, especially seeing that ship.

With that decision, I walked down the long corridor into his room to talk to him. When he told me I could come in after knocking on his door, I saw him sitting on his bed, eating an apple. 

"Got another one?" I asked politely, to which Marlon tossed me a honey crisp from his bag.

We were silently biting down into the delicious fruit before us before I decided to break the silence.

"So..what are we going to do about that ship?"

"Funny you asked, Vi and I planned it out this morning."

"Really? What did you say?" I asked.

"Clem and I are going to check out the ship. We're the most capable of doing it. We're heading out later today."

I could say soooo many things at that moment, but I decided to keep quiet.

"Oh okay then. I'm going to go tickle the ivories this morning, if you don't mind."

Upon saying that, I walked down the hall to the music room. It was always to calm in the music room, I never had to worry about people being there to interrupt me. I guess that's what kept me going through the apocalypse. At least it's better than what Marlon does when he's stressed, he just gets drunk and sits in his room. I try to get him to stop, but hell, a drink is what everyone needs these days. 

Sitting down on the piano bench, I take a deep breath, inhaling the room's wood smell. I kept playing the familiar song that I've been writing, but I never had a chance to name it. I was only about 10 minutes into my practice before a familiar footstep pattern scampered across the hallway.

"Hey Louis!" A.J. cheered as he walked into the piano room.

"What's up little man?" I asked as he leaned over on the piano.

"Nothing, I just woke up. Clem's still sleeping. Hey, why are all of the older kids up?"

"I don't know, we're just used to running this place I guess. Someone's gotta help with this place. Violet is always up first though."

"Okay, what are you doing?" He asked.

"Just playing my piano."

Suddenly, Clem appears from behind the heavy wooden door. She smiled at A.J., and then at me.