45 | ancient love

Shoutout to Bella for helping me with this chapter. I wouldn't have been able to write this without your ideas. THANK YOU!

"I love you is one of the most commonly used phrases in the English language. But hardly ever is it backed up with actions. And what does it matter to say it if you can't show it?"

— Forbidden Love

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

The moment Marinette placed the crown upon Chat Noir's head, he fell into a deep sleep.

It was somewhat frightening to watch him suddenly fall unconscious into an unknown realm, and even though his chest rose and fell peacefully as he slept, she wondered if that peace would remain attached to him once his ritual began. Granted, she was just as worried as he had been about the ritual and what consequences lied ahead with it. Sure, there was always a possibility that the consequences for Chat Noir's full recovery could be her own life, but she had been positive that the staff could not be that cruel. If it had the ability to take lives, did it not have a soul, a mind, a heart or at least a little bit of sympathy? Alas, it was nothing but a staff. Those questions would sound ridiculous to any folk who knew nothing about these people's beliefs or customs.

But at this point, Marinette believed anything could be possible.

She wondered if the staff would take someone else's life if it came down to it. The King had mentioned before that the staff usually took something of importance—perhaps instead of her life, it would be more merciful and take the child that was currently in her stomach. It sounded cruel and selfish, but Marinette felt completely violated with the little child that was too innocent to really understand how much pain its presence caused. If the child was taken away, perhaps she could begin a new life with Adrien.

But that was a bit absurd. How could she consider a life with someone she never got to confess her love to? Chat Noir had been more than once truthful in that aspect and had poured out his heart many times, despite some of the things she once said to him in return. She wondered, even to this day, how he could still love her after all the pain she had caused him. Perhaps that was the true meaning of love, and she was one of the lucky few who was able to find it.

As she watched the maids carry Chat Noir's body away, she held onto the arrowhead that had somehow made it back into her dress pocket, and she squeezed it into her palm, as if it would somehow bring comfort to her lover while he slept. Somehow, she had forgotten that it was there even though she placed it there herself. Because although she was being forced to marry Nathaniel, she figured the arrowhead would bring her some sort of comfort as she sauntered down the aisle, knowing with all her heart that the man who had given it to her loved with every bit of his soul. She had no doubts about that anymore.