Chapter 5

"Are you seriously blackmailing me, Granger?"

"Yes, I am"

Minutes later they were walking side by side on the streets of New York, heading to the Two Wizards', the pictures hidden in the inside pocket of Hermione's coat. She really hoped that he wasn't going to get her into a trap. After turning at several corners, walking along many long streets and waiting for the tourists to let them get past, they arrived to a dead-end. Hermione's heart started to beat faster, and turned to face Malfoy, who'd already got out his wand. Hermione grabbed hers too, ready to strike anytime.

But instead of hexing her, Draco tapped a rythm on the blank wall, and the bricks started moving, soon revealing an entrance, much like the entrance to Diagon Alley through the Leaky Cauldron.
Malfoy stepped in, and so did Hermione with wide eyes.

"Welcome to wizarding New York, Granger"

Hermione's mouth fell open. "I didn't know there was a wizarding part of New York! Why isn't the MACUSA Headquarters in here?"

"I suppose so everyone can go there, even tourists. There aren't many tourists here, as they don't know the right rythm." Draco answered.

But a different question bugged Hermione more, why didn't the MACUSA tell her about wizarding New York?

They started walking on the main street, which looked a lot like Diagon Alley, just more modern. Hermione felt exactly like her first time in wizarding London; awestruck, amazed and curious. She could recall being an eleven year old girl with muggle parents walking on the foreign streets looking at magic for the first time.

But now it wasn't her parents walking beside her, but a determined Draco Malfoy, and she wasn't here to eat ice cream and to pick up some books but to find missing people while risking her life. So similar yet so different.

After turning some corners they arrived to a dimly lit and deserted street.

"Is this like Knockturn Alley?" Hermione asked.

"No, although not the highest class hangs around here. It's just deserted, but the Two Wizards' keeps it alive. Everyone knows about the club in the city"

After passing by some closed shops they reached their destination. Music could be heard from outside.

"Before we go in, you'd better take off your auror badge. They don't really fancy your lot in there."

"I hope this is not a trap, Malfoy."

"Take off your badge now, Granger" He repeated.

"I swear to god, if it's a trap..."

"Take. Off. Your. Badge!" When Hermione didn't do as he told her for the third time, he tore it from her and pocketed the badge.

"Hey-" Hermione started to object but Draco had already opened the door and pushed her inside.

"You're going to get it back, don't worry. I don't plan on keeping it."

The music was extremely loud now. In the back there was a counter, and in the middle a magical billiard-table.

"Hey Theo!" Draco called. A man who was playing billiard had turned and looked at Malfoy. His focused expression from the game was soon replaced by joy upon seeing his friend.

"Draco, mate, long time no see!" He said and put down his cue. He walked towards them and embraced Draco in a hug. His eyes then turned to Hermione, and he let out a surprised gasp. "Is that the Hermione Granger?"

"Yeah, it's me..."

"What is a fine lady like you doing here with Malfoy? I thought ya preferred Potter and Weasley! What's going on that you didn't tell me, Draco?" He winked.