The march of war

The next morning, Sesshomaru and Ayame dressed for battle, they were ready to earn their peace.

They had prepared themselves with the gathered generals and Koga within the front hall, twenty in all, everyone silent, waiting on the order to move out.

Sesshomaru had been quiet all morning, watching Ayame prepare, her armor and swords in place, she looked up to him as she placed her golden comb behind her ear in her braided hair. Sesshomaru had decided to wear the full armor of the Lord of the West, hair pulled back, with steel plates on his shoulders and chest, his fur he wore over his shoulder left behind. He was a formidable sight. Seeing the apprehension on his entire body, she understood he wasn't fearful of the battle itself, but of her part in it. Understanding this, she cupped his cheek with her hand like he did her so many times before, and looked into his eyes. She whispered, "Lets end this, My Lord."

"By my side..." He whispered back to her.

She nodded her head in understanding, his generals and Koga shocked. They had never seen the formidable Lord in this manner. Ayame dropped her hand and stepped back, forming a mask of concentration on her face and holding it there, going to stand in the row of Sesshomaru's generals, waiting for his orders.

"They will be fast, and desperate. Expect anything, and we will end this." Sesshomaru spoke to the room, pacing in front of the soldiers and Ayame, delivering his commands, garnering their will to fight. "Today we fight to prove the Western and Northern lands fear no enemies... as well as to earn our peace." He said the last, looking to Ayame.

The line of generals placed a fist in open hand, and bowed to the Lord in acceptance, Ayame with them.

Sesshomaru nodded his head in acceptance to the respect given. "Move out."

They filed out in line, to an impressive sight in front of the castle. There were at least twenty regiments, lined in order, a lane created in the middle of them so they may walk through. Demons of all kinds were among their order; wolves, dogs, and eagle demons in their human forms, all intent on ending the battle quickly.

Sesshomaru unsheathed Bakusaiga and raised it above his head and yelled to the armies, "Tenno Heika Banzai!"

A deafening response was given back, with hundreds of battle cries thrown their way. Ayame lifted her head with confidence, remembering the days that she had followed the Inu no Taisho this way, it felt uplifting, fighting for what you love...she had even more now to lose, but it made her want to fight more, not shy away. Every life she took, was to ensure she kept her home.

They traveled through the day, the pace slow due to their numbers, they would be at the Eastern border by nightfall. Eagle demons transformed and scouted ahead, tracking the movements of the Eastern forces, they were camped just outside of the Western border.

As the sun set, the fires from their camps could be seen on the horizon. The army of the West stayed silent and hidden, a row of low-laying hills blocking them from view.

Sesshomaru stayed silent, studying the horizon, Ayame silent by his side. Koga walked up to them, wondering what their next move would be. "Well we found them, now what?"

"I'll need to see their numbers for myself..." Sesshomaru looked to the sky, the sun had lowered behind the mountains, blanketing the earth in darkness. He formed a cloud at his feet and rose into the sky. Ayame transformed, making Koga back up. He sensed the power she exuded. She took to the air, following him to his position in the sky.

Sesshomaru studied the chaotic hordes below, it seemed like a scene from hell. Ayame stayed flying beside him, the sound of the air being pushed under her wings the only one they made.

"Their forces are large...but unorganized. Driven by misplaced rage, stuck in a valley, which means no true leadership." Sesshomaru whispered to Ayame. She growled low in response, unable to talk in her demon state. Sesshomaru looked to her, pride slipping on to his face as he studied his mate, taking in her sharp claws and teeth, Si'unga on her side, he knew she would give them hell. "Let's go."

They made their way back to camp, noticing a stir within the front lines.

Nataka had a dragon demon in his human form within his claws, the dragon was tore up and bleeding from his mouth and arms. "What is this?" Sesshomaru asked Nataka as soon as he landed, Ayame, still in demon form, snarled at the dragon beside her mate.

"I found him sneaking by our camp, gaining intel for the enemy. What should we do my Lord?"

"I was not sneaking for intel; they know as much as they need to..." The dragon demon growled out.

"What's your purpose?" Nataka asked the dragon.

"To warn you..."

"Why in the hell would you do that?" Ayame asked when she phased to her human form, walking directly up to the prisoner.

"Ritsuo has lost his mind...his armies, they're torn. They want to stay loyal, but not at his price. He has risen a demon from the underworld, a guardian from the gates of hell, and has worked a spell. One similar to what he put on Ayame. The demon is only half-controlled, it has killed many of our numbers already, without cause. Ritsuo just laughs, the men not wanting to be the next victim. It has created division and discord among the East..." the dragon finished.

Ayame looked to Sesshomaru, his mask of indifference up. "Why warn us?" He finally asked.

"The men hoped that if the West wins, they will live free to pick their next leader."

The demon seemed to be telling the truth, and from what Ayame knew and remembered from the East, it made sense that they were ready for new leadership.

"I have no interest in controlling both the East and West. How about you Koga?" Sesshomaru asked the wolf demon to his left.

"Nah, I got enough problems..." Koga responded, knowing the extra responsibility was not worth it.

"Nataka, find out what you need to know from this dragon, and chain him up. When this is over, we will set you free. Until then, you will be our prisoner." Sesshomaru ordered. His general took the dragon away with the help of two other soldiers. Sesshomaru turned to Koga and Ayame, apprehensive about the new information.

The demons of the gateway to the underworld were powerful, and vicious. To have one in control of Ritsuo, on top of his army, they had a hell of a fight ahead of them.

"What now?" Koga asked with his arms crossed across his chest.

"We take advantage of the chaos..." Sesshomaru stated, violence intent on his face, as he walked to update the regiments on the news of what they faced.

Koga looked at Ayame in question, Ayame deep in thought. "He's gone insane Koga, no one, no matter how powerful, can control such a demon..."