Mouse.

Chapter five;

Mouse.

Third person

He thrashed and whined in his sleep, calling out to His deceased. "M-Mom, Mother n-no." The lights flickered on and off, no one else in the room, suddenly, the sound, the flickering lights, the sad and fearful cries, all stopped. Silence lingered, one single deafening sob, the only thing to break it.

Careful not to wake the boy, another silhouette stood at the corner of the room, singing a soft lullaby to coax the boy to bed once more.

"Hush little baby don't say a word, Daddy's gonna burn you until your dead,

And if that don't work, Daddy's gonna give you a few pills to swallow,

And if those pills don't melt your brain, Daddy's gonna fill you with battery acid...

If sulfuric acid doesin't melt your intestines, I wouldin't know what to do. Silver bullet? Stake? I don't think you even know what you are yet..." The silhouette backed into the shadows and disappeared, Jacob awoke with a sheen of sweat covering his body and his heart racing. Searching the room with only his eyes, he noticed a note on his dresser, the note looked like it had been set just so, picking up the old crumbling note and unfolding it, the boy spoke the words with a hidden familiarity.

"Thánatos psáchnei gia esás . Na eíste dynatoí kai na ev̱i̱merí̱soun, o gios mou...?" The boy re-read the unknown language with an uncertain déjà vu, "Where... Could this have come from...?"

The sun in the room shifted and some thing shined beneath the boy, reaching down he found a pendant with a howling wolf with wings on the front, the tightly braided leather attached to it had drops of hardened decaying blood and Jacob had a strong need to put it around his neck, as if some how it would comfort him. Raising the pendant the same "words" as were on the old page were inscribed on it. Just noticing it, there were four words in English; "Please realize it son."

"Realize what...?" Suddenly, Sterling burst into the room, planning to wake the boy saying; "Jacob!~ Wakey Wak- Oh you're up? Good, we have work in ten." Jacob growned and got dressed quickly, not noticing himself put the pendant around his neck and drop the old page on his bed.

Late for his Part time job the boy was rushing, not paying attention. In deep thought muttering the "words" to himself once more. "Thánatos psáchnei gia esás . Na eíste dynatoí kai na ev̱i̱merí̱soun, o gios mou..."

Jacob

I was walking down the street with a coffee, heading to my part time job. I was far too deep in thought and wasn't paying attention, when suddenly I felt something grab my shirt and shout.

"Be carful idiot!"

I was pulled to the ground with widened eyes, I was shocked to have been pulled at. My face was flushed and I wasn't aware of myself, I looked up and saw a girl with long dark hair and a frown. She had a lip ring, a lip ring.

"What were you thinking?! Are you insane?!" She asked. I shook my head and stood, 'what am I doing?!' I thought. "Don't talk much eh? I understand, everyone here ran away from home. Ya' find a few crazys." the girl said with a slight laugh. I scoffed, remembering my 'encounter' with one, the guy looked like he was a rich kid... Only one problem with that notion. He was pushing a shopping kart filled with cans, that wasn't the crazy part though. When he turned around, half of his face was covered in words, indecipherable as they were, one stood out from the gibberish; 'Lost'.

The girl was waving her hand in front of my face. "why are you spacing out?! Stop it!" I almost laughed. She stuck her hand out at me and said; "I'm Lux, this is the town of the Lost and the loudest. Pleased to meet you... Uh..." I shook her hand and smiled. "Okay, I dub you Mouse, 'cause you don't talk much." I nodded.

"Are you deaf too?" I shook my head and gripped her hand tighter unconsciously. She - Lux - smiled and nodded. "So Mouse, how did you come to Lousy-Ville?" I started to panic, 'I can't just tell her, heck, I can't even talk to her.' I thought,  then I saw Sterling across the street and yelped, pointing in his general direction, apparently my yelp caught his attention, so he was waving at me. I waved back and looked at Lux. She nodded and smiled, "So you came with your boyfriend? That's so sweet!" the girl started jumping and I griped her shoulders shaking my head erratically, frowning. By this time sterling had crossed the street.

"Of course he did! My little Jacob, where ever have you been?" He and I smiled at the mutual joke and then we started laughing hysterically. "No, Jake and I came here because we didn't belong where we were." Said Sterling as I calmed down and caught my breath.

Yes we came here to get away from a place we didn't belong, I won't lie either, we made the joke because we live together and because we don't like to get too involved with others. Lux grinned and shook sterling's hand.

"Mouse and Skippy, sounds about right, so your real name is Jacob eh?" I nodded, reluctantly - I actually really liked Mouse - and smiled at her.

"...I prefer Mouse..." I muttered. Sterling and Lux stared at me for a moment. "......What...?" They looked at each other, back at me and back to each other and burst out in laughter. "S-Shut up..." My cheeks grew hot and Lux stopped laughing.

"Alright, Mouse it is! You guy's are funny." Lux smiled and patted our backs and in a whirlwind I was out, my eyes opened in another dimension, I looked down at my hands and realized I was short, small, my feet were a fraction of the size they were, my stomach was slightly bulged and I was pudgy. 

"Wha-"

"Jacob! Come downstairs!" I shook my head and remembered what was going on.

"Yes Mom!" I grinned and bounded down the stairs. My Mother patted my back hard and said; "Lets go Jake! Your first day of school isin't going to start it's self!" My Mother smiled down at me and pushed me toward the bus on the street. When I looked back my Mother was covered head to toe in red sludge, grinning and waving, "Be a good boy! Dont let them find out..." Her voice was coarse and stagnant in tone, I jolted awake with a sour taste in my mouth. My throat contracted and felt scrachy, my mouth started to drip and feel like it was sweating inside.  

I puked.

"Jacob are you okay?" Sterling ran into the room and had a worried expression. Lux beside him an equally worried expression on her features.

I sat up with wide eyes. "I remembered..." I whispered.

"What Jacob? I didn't hear you..."

"I remembered why I've kept quiet, why I stopped talking..."

My mother wasn't insane. She was strong enough to last as long as she did. It was broken from the beginning...

Her mind.

___

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment, it would make my day ^.^  

(Lucy Hale) Pic of Lux on the side ^.^ >>>

The language above is Greek, the text says: "Death is searching for you. Be strong and prosper, my son."

-- Shadow --