Chapter 3 {Damn O'Driscolls}

Author's p.o.v

Javier and Arthur walked out of the building that Hailey and some of the ladies, including John and Jack, are staying. Both men mounted their horses and started towards the direction where they came from, when they left Blackwater.

"I don't see why I have to come?" Javier asked, with his horse keeping pace with Arthur's horse, "I've never seen a little girl survive a bullet wound, in fact I've never seen anyone survive a bullet wound like her's." Arthur nodded his head, "yeah, when I walked into her house, there was two puddles of blood, and she was just lying in it, I think she was dying, she was cold, and the open door didn't help. Abigail said that the bullet is still in her, maybe when we get off this mountain we should take her to a doctor or something, to get that bullet out of her."

Javier nodded, "when we returned with John two days ago, Hailey told me that she had been beat, then shot at, now you tell me that, that ain't a tuff girl." Javier chuckled, "us men, probably wouldn't have lived to tell the tale of getting their asses handed to them, then getting shot."

Both Javier and Arthur didn't say much for the next few hours heading back to Hailey's home, other than a few sentences here and there.

When the two men reached Hailey's home, Arthur saw a black Shire horse neighing and running around the house, "Arthur you seeing this?" Arthur nodded and he clicked his tongue, he caught the horse's attention. The horse turned to him, she neighed and knickered at seeing a man slowly walking towards her, "you think that horse use to be one of Hailey's family's?" "Don't know," Arthur calmed the horse down and he grabbed some rope and tied the horse on a post so that she wouldn't escape.

"Let's go, I don't see anyone around," Javier tied his horse up and he followed Arthur into the house, Javier gagged as he smelt a heavy amount of metallic hanging in the cold air. "It's like a massacre happened," Arthur nodded, he pointed towards where he found Hailey, "that's where I found her." Javier looked around, "looks like they were about to eat, before some men barged in and interrupted."

"You check down here, I'll go upstairs," Javier nodded his head, he started walking around the kitchen looking for anything for the gang.

Arthur walked upstairs aiming his gun, Arthur saw a door open and he saw a woman, assuming that it was Hailey's mother, and a man who had a knife in his throat. He smiled, but he slowly walked in the room, he stepped over the dead woman and into the room.

He looked around, then he started going through drawers, he found some cash here and there, he didn't find didn't find a journal. He went through a closet, Hailey's father's clothes, he found a lock box, Arthur looked confused as there wasn't really anything in it, but a ring and two pieces of paper. Arthur put the ring and two pieces of paper in his satchel.

He found two guns, "this man was apart of something, I can feel it." Arthur whispered to himself, he opened the next closet, it was Hailey's mother's clothes. He also found a lockbox, but this one had a gun and one piece of paper, and a knife. "Something ain't right about her parents," Arthur looked at the body, an O'Driscoll and he looted the body of the O'Driscoll.

He grabbed the knife out of the O'Driscoll's throat and he put it in his satchel, after cleaning it. Arthur picked Hailey's mother up and he carefully laid her on the bed, he crossed her arms and laid two coins on the woman's eyes. He saw a ring on the woman's finger and his eyes widened. "They were O'Driscolls, I've gotta find that damn journal." Arthur continued to look, then he looked back at the bed, he reached his hand under the mattress and felt something like leather. He pulled his hand out from under the bed and looked at it, it was a nice leather journal, it was a reddish-brown, with a hint of old age to it, a small carving read a name, 'Diane Fox Sioux'. Arthur smiled and stashed the journal in his satchel, then he walked to a door and opened it.