chapter one: the stacks ✔️

the stacks
~~~~~~~~~~

madison's p.o.v:
pounding. pounding is all i ever feel anymore. you'd think i'd be used to it by now after all these years of living in the stacks, but i never have.

for those who don't know, the stacks are a bunch of housing units stacked on top of each other so if someone jumps, you feel it and so does the person beside them and beside you and under you and under them, so basically everyone. you might be wondering, why are people jumping?

well, smart ass, i live in columbus, ohio which is where james halliday and ogden morrow created the revolutionary "oasis" in 2025. after the first few years, morrow was out of the picture and halliday completely took over. the oasis is a game... well more of a place where anyone can go to escape from the real world.

you can be whoever and wherever you want. a 300 pound dude who lives in his mommas basement in suburban detroit's avatar could be sonya blade from mortal kombat if you know what i mean. gross. personally, my avatar is a girl my age with wavy, long black hair and wears tight leather pants, combat boots, white and black striped long sleeve and a black denim vest.

anyways, in the oasis you can do so many different things like go to a casino the size of a planet, skydive with david hasselhoff, have a snowball fight in the sahara, the possibilities are endless.

i decide to leave our stack, and by ours i mean me and my dads. my mom left us after the corn syrup droughts and never came back. i don't blame her though, my dad's an asshole anyways.

i sneak my way out the door and hopped on a rickety, thick wire and rode my way down to the bottom stack. "good morning madison" i heard from behind me. "morning mrs. gilmore" i responded. she's a sweet lady but is stuck here with the rest of us in the stacks. "what's the matter? life getting you down?" she asked with a chuckle.

i shook my head and made my way to my van that i keep hidden behind a different pair of stacks which holds all my equipment and game systems. i carefully make my way to the van, strap on my equipment and get ready to join in the oasis. my name is madison region and this is my story.

~~~~~~~~~~
a.n// alright! so this was my first chapter! it was kinda just an introduction to the whole story line. i promise it'll get better from here 😂 see y'all later and happy gunting!