Chapter 8

"Susan! Sophia!"

My eyes flutter open at the sound of Lucy's voice, a grumble escaping me in slight annoyance. The dream I was invested in was quite enjoyable, yet I'm having a hard time remembering pieces as I glare toward the youngest Pevensie. Out of the corner of my eye, I watch as Susan snuggles closer to the ground - ignoring Lucy completely, causing my best friend to huff. A small amused smile dances upon my face as Lucy gazes toward me, yet the look in her eyes makes me stop - there's something behind them that seems serious and dependant.

"Sophia. Come on, I think it's Aslan."

And just like that, I jump to my feet in pure excitement - my eyes wide no doubt. There's a sense of magic twinkling in the air as his name wonders through the air, just as it always has been. He's a creature of mystery, yet I wouldn't change him for the world. After all, he gave us all a second chance at life in this world of Narnia. Gripping tightly onto my quiver and my looking scope dangling securely from my belt, I chase after Lucy as the twelve year old runs into the surrounding trees - leaving our siblings sleeping peacefully. Over her shoulder she begins to explain her dream to me, her bubbly voice filled with hope and pure desire. I sigh wistfully, a small ounce of jealousy building inside me.

"That's not fair. I want to see Aslan in my dreams."

The young girl smiles a sympathetic smile before weaving herself in and out of the trees - looking around in content. She always did feel at home in the forest, often finding herself scolded by Susan as she wandered into the castle at such late times. I can tell by the hurt behind her eyes that this is tearing her up inside - even more than Peter. I place a hand on her shoulder before gazing around at the trees, noting the lack of flower buds and disarray of petals scattered upon the ground. It's almost as if dryads no longer exist, which causes me great despair. Suddenly, a soft sigh catches my attention - the noise bringing me out of my mind.

"Wake up."

Gazing toward Lucy, I see her hand upon the closest tree and her head hung in sadness. I pry her hand away from the trunk, squeezing it in slight comfort before guiding her away - knowing the further we get from them the more happier my best friend will be. In an effort to help her, I begin talking to her about random things to keep her mind occupied. However, it doesn't last very long for a low growl echoes throughout the trees - a small yelp of surprise leaving my mouth. Sharing a glance with Lucy, I peer through the trees with intrigued eyes - hoping this is the great lion we've been searching for.

"Aslan?"

I take a few steps through the trees, noticing a clearing just up ahead - within the direction of the growl. However, I can barely get passed a small shrub before I'm pulled backward - a hand muffling my screams and an arm wrapping itself around my waist. Struggling to escape, I make a mean to throw my head into the attacker when I notice Lucy in a similar situation - Peter holding a finger to her lip and telling her to be quiet. Furrowing my eyebrows, I tilt my head back to see Andrew shaking his head and his eyes wide - a sign that perhaps I should have had my attention focusing on my surroundings rather than inside my head. Slowly, Andrew pulls his hand away from my face and peers around the shrub along with Peter - my own gaze following with curious eyes. I yelp in surprise and quickly duck down, avoiding the stare of the growling creature - which is most definitely not Aslan. It's a minotaur with an axe in hand, prowling around the trees with an intense glare. My heartbeat quickens in slight fear, for the minotaur's were never quite forgiving to us all - their loyalty with the pure evil rather unchanging. Most had gotten better, but after this invasion of the Telmerine's nothing is as it seems - that much is true. I glance toward my brother with worry, but he simply gives me a small nod of affection before sauntering out from our hiding place - Peter beside him and their swords held high. Shuffling closer to Lucy, I peer above the shrub to watch the two boys approaching the minotaur quietly. Despite their stealthy behaviour, neither of them can strike for a shout echoes from the trees - a figure clashing his own sword against Peter which catches the boy in surprise. As I peer closer, ignoring the grunts and groans of the three swordsmen fight, I realise that this is a boy that looks to be young - his brown hair reaching just below his jaw line and his eyes wide with fire. I swear I've seen him somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it. Suddenly, my mind is brought out of my contemplation as Peter disarms this newly found attacker only for him to get his own sword stuck in the large tree trunk - Andrew stuck to fight this new boy all alone. However, as Peter begins to look for a weapon elsewhere - his eyes dangerously close to a lone rock upon the forest floor - I realise just who this boy is, and why I've seen his face before.