Chapter 9

Admiring the How with wide eyes, I gaze around the hollowed mound with interest - trying to make sense of the many tunnels that can be seen. From the outside, the hill had appeared almost magical and ancient - yet now as I stand here in the centre of the bustling army, it feels quite surreal and overwhelming. Warriors are everywhere, getting themselves prepared for the upcoming battle whilst a few elder female's bunch together doing what can only be described as sewing. Humming impressed, I make a move to explore the surrounding rooms and wander through the confusing tunnels - my feet trailing unconsciously after the Pevensie girls. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I notice something colourful upon the rocks as the three of us wander down a lone pathway - my gaze drifting toward it with curiosity only for my mouth to gape in shock. Carved into the earthy wall is an intricate drawing of Aslan with the three of us riding upon his back, just how it happened many years ago. I hear Lucy gasp in surprise and I spin around to face her, only to see the six of us during our coronation - our crowns and tiaras upon our heads and our clothing matching the standards of royalty. I sigh wistfully, running my hands along my own throne - just as Susan's voice reaches my ears.

"PETER! You may want to see this."

The sound of running footsteps can be heard getting closer, but I can't seem to take my eyes away from the carvings. They drift from one to another, admiring the detail and accuracy. There is a drawing of Peter upon his unicorn, with his sword held high and eyes full of determination - the carving beside Andrew fighting a minotaur from the first battle we ever fought. Susan and Lucy have their own carvings, the latter leaving against the lamppost that created and destroyed everything. As I admire an image of Edmund and I, the two of us sparing against one another, Andrew's voice startles me out of my mind.

"It's us."

Slowly nodding, I turn my gaze away from the rocks and toward Prince Caspian - the boy in question appearing as though this isn't a shock for him. I open my mouth to say something when I'm cut off - Lucy asking her question before I even have a chance to make a single sound.

"What is this place?"

Caspian furrows his eyebrows, tilting his head to the side as though utterly confused. He stutters for a few seconds, obviously trying to comprehend Lucy's question before humming.

"You don't know?"

Scoffing slightly, I give him a pointed look whilst rolling my eyes - confused as to why he's asking such a stupid question.

"If we did, would we be asking?"

The boy mutters a small 'touché' whilst chuckling, shaking his head in amusement before gripping tightly onto a nearby fire torch - making his way further along the tunnel. I watch as the light begins to become faint, causing me to quickly trail after the Prince - not wanting to be left in the dark. However, I barely move more than two steps before I halt my action - staring toward the last carving upon the rock. Staring back at me is Mr Tumnus, his little umbrella above his head and his scarf dangling beside him - just as it was the day Lucy and I met him. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Lucy standing beside me with a sorrowful gleam in her eyes - a soft sigh leaving her lips as we stare. Slowly, I grip onto her hand and lead her away from the carving and after the others - leaving behind the pain and sorrow. She sends me a grateful smile and squeezes my hand for comfort before letting go - just as the tunnel begins to expand. Furrowing my eyebrows, I come to a stop beside my brother as Lucy appears beside hers - the darkness submerging us all despite the fire torches held in the boys' hands. Standing completely still, I brace myself for something to jump out at me but my eyes catch sight of something moving in the corner of the dark area. Peering closer, I realise its a trail of fire slowly making its way around what now appears to be a room. The fire begins to highlight stone sculptures embedded within the walls - different kinds of Narnian creatures smiling down at me with soft grins. As the fire continues to travel, it passes a stone archway which looks oddly familiar - yet I don't ponder it any further as a stone carving of Aslan appears behind it. His face is grinning down at us all with pure eyes that sparkle in the light, a sense of pride and love filling my chest the longer I stare at it. However, as the room becomes brighter, I realise just where we are - and why that archway looks so familiar. Despite having never returned after the battle, nothing has changed which to be honest doesn't surprise me - this place was always filled with magic. Before us is the Stone Table, the crack still evident down the middle and just as mesmerising. I slowly walk forward hesitantly, placing my hand upon the stone to feel a sense of a mystical presence - my heart pounding slightly at the hope of Aslan returning. Suddenly, Lucy breaks the silence enveloping us - her voice cracking ever so slightly.