The way we see it is important

"You can either see a glass as half full, or as half empty. 

But what did you fill it with?

That is the question that one should ask."

-Unknown.

This is a true story. 

My math teacher loved telling stories. Perhaps it was because he loved telling his experiences,or to prevent my fellow batch-mates from dozing off or to make us better human beings and guide us through this walk of life- we'll never know.

My math teacher was a devotee of Krishna. Don't worry, this isn't a tale about Krishna.

And so he began one evening, after teaching us Mathematical Induction,

"The sun was cruel, gazing down directly at us. The hot winds blowing through the town of Mathura weren't helping our predicament either. We knew this would happen, it was Central India afterall. 

There were three of us,all devotees, completing our Parikrama." 

"What is Parikrama?", one of my Christian batch mates asked.

"It is a Hindu Festival, we call it Parikrama for short. It is actually called Govardhan Parikrama. To worship the mountain that gave us so much in times of peril, we circle it to honor what it has given us.", answered my teacher.

He paused for a minute.

"Let me continue.

 We had lots more to cover. There were many devotees doing the Parikrama along with us. The beginning had been fun, filled with jokes to counter the heat. But fifty minutes into the walk, the three of us agreed that we were thirsty.

A few minutes later we saw a sugarcane juice stand. The sweet sugarcane would do more than quench our thirst, it would help us regain our spirit. We stopped at the stand.

'Too many honey bees hovering over the sugarcane!', one of my friend said, swatting one of the bees away from his face.

'We don't have any other choice,do we?', I had countered.

'I see another sugarcane juice stand, two minutes away. I can't see any bees, let's go there.',the same friend suggested.

It was only two minutes down, so the two of us agreed with him. 

The second sugarcane juice stand didn't have any bees hovering over it.

'Three glasses of juice please,bhaiya.', my friend said,the very same one who complained about the honey bees before.

After drinking the juice, we were back on track. However, the juice wasn't very sweet. But our thirst was quenched. The jokes had begun again.

A few minutes later the other friend said,'You know, since there were so many bees over the other juice stand, those sugarcane must have been sweeter.'

If we had seen the bigger picture, and questioned it, we would've gotten the sweeter juice, for the same price.

One of my friends saw the honey bees as a nuisance, the other saw it as an indication of the sweetness of the juice. We may see the same things, but how we interpret it determines who we are and how far we will go in this life."

I loved this story, learnt something really important from it. Hence, I felt the need to write it down.

If you liked it, vote for it.