Chapter 3 - KYLE

I didn't expect it. The visit of Liz and Oliver surprised me a little bit and what they told me even more. It  never happened here before, as far as I know. From my ten years of experience in this camp.
This Sunday, I was in charge of the pre-teen activities. I can't let them go about their business as easily as teenagers. I must not take any risks since the first village is several hours' walk away. No risk means no problems, no injuries and therefore n hospital. That's my role as an instructor. So it wasn't my job to handle the arrival of the new kids. It must have been the work of one of my colleagues who arrived at the beginning of the holiday period. They're all new, except for me and Sanaa. Young, quite nice even if I don't really have time to chat. The camp manager has also changed for this summer vacation. A brand new staff and I barely know them at the moment.
I didn't plan the "setback" this afternoon. And I wasn't notified until Oliver and Liz came into my cabin, sweating. I will have to clarify this point with the other instructors. Communication first. And that's what I'm going to apply now by informing the camp leader of our "problem".

I leave the euphoria of the refectory after singing and celebrating Oliver's birthday. Liz asked me to prepare this surprise a few days ago, I did it naturally with Sanaa. That's kind of weird to say, but I'd do anything for Liz, even if I don't necessarily show her. I've known her since she was six years old, it's like she's my very little sister.

I walk towards the cabin of the camp boss. I cross the small forest separating the area from the cabins reserved for instructors and other staff. It's always quiet around here, no one is there during the day and there are no children running or screaming everywhere.
I knock on the booth that serves as the boss' office a few minutes later. It's a tiny red house, bigger than a cabin anyway. The man opens the door, nods at me to tell me to follow him and then take a heavy step towards his office in the middle of the room. He buttoned up his checkered shirt that the heat had forced him to take off and tell me:

-Enter! Um... Kyle. Is that correct?

I nod and move slowly into the dark room. The shutters are almost folded over the windows, only a few beams of light illuminate the room. No need for a bright light to see that the room is perfectly tidy, I haven't often seen this with the various managers that the camp has known.
Normally, they were all overwhelmed by the bills or kids' residence permits. It should be a monstrous mess, but here, only a few papers and pens are lying around. It's as if this tiny mess had been thought of. To the millimetre. That doesn't sound right.

-So Kyle, to what do I owe your coming? Wakes me up the boss as he sits behind his desk.

-Well, I'm a little concerned since two of my kids told me that the new kids haven't arrived. We were expecting about thirty of them today. None of them put down their luggage.

The boss, Mr. Owens, is carrying a cigarette on his lips that he just took out of his package. He lights a flame and takes a long breath as he looks at me.

-It is an unfortunate setback indeed.

-I only warned you. Do I have to inform the outside world? I can use my walkie-talkie. Or go to the nearest town.

-We need you here. The children need you. No need to worry about it.

-I know it, I understand it but the camp has never encountered this problem of...

He gets up from his leather armchair and comes to stand in front of me. He takes me by the shoulders, he's a little smaller than me: his graying hair comes to my forehead.

-Since you've been here. And I'm sure all the managers were grateful to you. I am too! Then you should relax, Kyle. It's the holidays, isn't it?

He smiles at me, his cigarette between his teeth.

-The situation is under control... and under a good one! I promise you that.

I sketch a smile in turn and try to make it as carefree and convincing as possible. Even though I can't believe a word he said to me.