Epilogue

Hela sat atop her throne like she had been for the last twenty years.

It was her birthday today.

Thirty-six years old. That's how old she was.

She had been trapped in Hel for twenty years.

"Troy, what's the status on our army?" she asked.

"I think they'll be ready to attack anytime within the next year."

"Good. It helps that we're getting more and more souls each day. It's sad, yes, but it helps."

"Agreed. If you don't mind me asking, how are you, my queen?" Hela knew she had been a little off lately, but it was only it because she knew Ragnarok grew nearer and nearer with every passing moment. Still, she smiled.

All her subjects were kind and loyal and respectful, but only Troy ever called her "my queen." Usually it was "Queen Hela" or "your highness" or something else like that.

"I'm fine, Troy. Thank you."

"Are you sure? You haven't been yourself lately."

"I'm all right, really." She smiled at him. In all the years she'd been here, she had never truly seen his face. It was bothersome, but she never had any reason to. She managed to see the doubtful look on his face. "I promise."

"Well, okay."

"Thank you for asking, though. I appreciate it." Hela fiddled with the necklace on her neck.

Forgive me, Mother.

******

Loki awoke in a cold sweat. He always had a nightmare around this time of year.

It was his Hela's birthday, and he couldn't be there to celebrate with her.

He got dressed and headed down the hall to the room honoring his family.

"Happy birthday, Hela," he said as he knelt in front of the pictures of them. "Thirty-six. I can hardly believe it. I... I'm sorry I can't be there to celebrate with you. I... I can't imagine how twenty years has treated you. I... I love you so much, Hela. I cannot wait until the day I get to see you again. Happy birthday."