Chapter 7

~Lucy~
"Breath In, and out. In, and out."
Lucy struggled to do as he was instructing her, searching with her clammy hand for his.
It was too heavy. The weight on her chest had become unbearable, and now it threatened to crush her lungs entirely. Sweat soaked her entire body as the task of breathing grew more and more difficult.
She opened her eyes slowly and looked up at Natsu's face, trying to focus her eyes long enough to get a clear view of him. Darkness swam at the edge of her vision and fatigue threatened to steal her away as the struggle became impossible.
She saw Natsu's lips moving, but no sound seemed to reach her ears. She saw tears starts streaming down his face, spilling over onto her hand.
She realized she had stopped breathing.
The force she had felt on her lungs suddenly lifted as she felt herself growing more and more distant, like she was being pulled under water. For a second panic gripped her, but that second ended quickly and was soon replaced by a calm she hadn't felt in a long time.
She was dying, but she didn't care.
The pain, all of that unbearable pain, was finally gone.
"Lucy, I will always love you."
Then the world went black.
* * *
"Is she-"
"Shut up."
"But-"
"I don't know."
The voices sounded familiar, but she couldn't place them. Everything was black.
Was she dead?
She must be, she remembered dying.
She felt herself being jostled around. Her limbs were sprawled out randomly and she tried not to flinch when her hand hit something. Was that... It couldn't be. Using all her strength she concentrated on moving that one finger and tracing the edge of Greys necklace.
But... How.
The pain. It was sudden and all at once. Her head, her lungs, the piercing pain in her stomach.
How...?
This isn't possible.
She died.
Suddenly a hand was on hers, squeezing it. She yelped in surprise and pulled her hand away.
"Yup. Still alive and kicking."
She was positive now. She would recognize Greys voice anywhere. But who was carrying her?
Grey had been talking with Natsu, she was certain of it, but the other voice had come from in front of her. It couldn't be him.
"Well of course, Lucy would never abandon us like that. She's a member of FairyTail." Erza. Joy flowed through Lucy's body and gave her new hope.
They were being rescued.