Chapter 24

~Natsu~
Natsu was woken by the sound of his front door closing.
Quickly untangling himself from Lucy he rushed to the wooden door and pulled it open, just in time to catch a fleeting glance of them. She was a young girl, no older than Wendy. She looked unmistakably familiar, but he just couldn't think at the moment, his mind was so muddled.
He was on his way back to the couch where Lucy lay hopefully asleep when he noticed it.
The box was no larger than the size of an egg carton, each edge forming it into a prefect cube. The box was wrapped in aqua blue paper, with a tiny beed of gold on each corner. A note lay on top.
Reaching forward with one shaky hand he picked up the note and read.
'Dear Natsu of Fairy Tail,
I have heard of your recent adventures, and of the unfortunate events that have occurred thereafter. I have received word from a very unexpected source, a young girl by the name of Satoko. I'm am unsure wether you know of her, but she says she wishes you the best of luck. She told me that a comrade of yours by the name of Lucy has fallen very ill. She had said that she had been poisoned by a guild that resided in Oak Town. Soon after my encounter with this girl I received word that this guild had been destroyed, and I believe I have you to thank for that. As I am sure you know, that guild was after a certain ruby. That ruby belongs to me. And if you know of the ruby you know of its power, and the dangers of it falling into the wrong hands. I am forever grateful to you for what you have done, and so now I return the favour. Use this gift wisely, as I'm sure your guild will. I wish the best of luck for your friend, and I pray that I have been of help.
Sincerely,
The ruby bearer
P.S. You're welcome'

Natsu waisted no time. Grabbing the box he tore off the paper and ripped it open. A small ray of light shone through the window, making a spotlight for the ruby that sat in the box, glimmering in the faint morning sunlight and casting red light across the room.
Natsu stared, transfixed by its brilliant radiance. Shaking his head as if to clear it he turned away from the ruby and back to Lucy. He had to get her and the ruby back to the guild...
Time was ticking by quickly, Lucy wouldn't make it much longer in her state. He couldn't carry her and use his magic to boost his speed at the same time... Besides, he couldn't risk loosing the ruby. It was his only way. No, it was her only way. The only way she could live. But still, that filled him with hope. He had been backed into a corner with no way of helping her, and now this mysterious 'ruby bearer' had come along and dropped one in his lap. He wouldn't let it go to waist.
As quickly as he could he found a carriage driver willing to bring him, and he was off. With Lucy in his arms and newfound hope swelling in his chest, he raced towards his guild.