Chapter 25

~Special~
As I sat there, staring out my window, wondering what would become of this girl I had only recently heard of, I couldn't help but feel worried.
Although I had been grateful to give up the ruby to someone else, it almost felt wrong not to have it, and suppose it didn't work? That boisterous guild now had possession of it, who knew what would happen? If the girl died, I knew I had to find a means for getting it back.
Sighing I shook my head. I was too paranoid, there was nothing to worry about. I had faith that it would do it's job, and I had faith in the guild that had wiped out the ruby's biggest threat.
I was startled out of my thoughts by a knock on the door.
"Come in."
The door creaked open and a young girl with short brown hair stepped in.
"Have you done as I asked?" She said curtly, getting straight to the point, as usual.
"I have." I replied, shifting my chair away from the window to face her.
"Then you've sent it?"
"Yes, you needn't worry yourself Satoko. I assure you the girl Lucy will be fine."
I watched her sigh with relief, walking over to the window. It was amazing how comfortable I already felt around her, like we had been living together our entire lives.
When she came knocking on my door only a few days before, begging for food, I had been more than happy to help. Her story had been something else. How ironic it was that she had happened to stumble upon my home at that time. It had certainly been most fortunate for the poisoned girl.
I had been very surprised when she came back the next day with the news that the guild had been destroyed, and by none other than the very wizard who had been friends with the girl, Lucy.
So of course I was more than willing to do as she asked and give them the ruby. It was all such a confusing mess, but I hoped that the poor girl could be left out of it. After loosing her family she had nowhere to go. I had never been a father before, but I had hope that I would succeed.
I watched now as she stood beside me, her frail hand inches away from mine, staring out the window at the rain falling from the sky.
"I know it was him..." She whispered, pulling me out of my haze of thoughts.
"Hmm?"
"The one who killed my sister, it was him. The wizard who destroyed the guild."
I stiffened as I noticed her voice harden, her hand tightening into a fist at her side. Forcing myself to relax, I replied.
"You knew that all along, didn't you?" It was less of a question, and more of a statement.
"Yes." She replied, a small calm coming over her.
"But you're not mad." I continued.
"No, I understand why he did it, and I will not hold it against him. I will not let myself be full of hate as my sister was, and make her same mistakes. I will not be angry with him."
Standing, I moved to her side and looked out the window, just in time to see the sun peek out from behind the clouds.