The Invitation

Everyone stops and looks at me as I walk into the dining hall. Do you know how you can feel when a person's eyes are boring into the back of your skull? Well, imagine that feeling but with over a 100 set of eyes looking at you from all the tables in the dining hall. There is a sudden reduction of sound in the atmosphere as people beginning whispering amongst themselves, clearly talking about me. The silent whispers and observant eyes aren't something unbeknownst to dining halls, especially when the target of a nasty rumor or truth has arrived. I have always been a part of the set of eyes and whispers when that person walks in, but the roles have reversed. Gossip is everyone's favorite main course, and I guess I am what's on the menu for lunch.

As I walk down the empty aisle towards my teammate's table, my eyes meet a pair of solemn blue ones. Their owner is walking towards me; Jason. Alongside his girlfriend Jackie who wields the title of "President of Alpha Kappa Chi". That's sorority lingo for the prettiest sorority on campus. He looks down and she displays a wicked grin.

I try to change directions and cut through the tables of people instead but I get blocked by one of her sisters and bestie, Kelsey. I try to cut the other way but another one of her sisters block me. I look around trying to figure out my next move but her pretty little minions are everywhere. While failing to find an escape route, an unknown pair of hands shove me and fall into Jason.

Jackie sighs loudly, earning the attention of the rare few who weren't already staring at me.

"Hands off my boyfriend psycho!" She screams.

I quickly try to scramble back onto my feet.

"Can't you tell that he doesn't want you! PYSCHO!" Jackie booms again.

The dinning hall erupts with laughter. I stumble over myself trying to leave as everyone starts chanting psycho.

Amy POV

I shoot up straight in bed gasping for air. Disoriented I look around frantically trying to get my barrings. Slowly my bedroom begins to come into focus. My luxurious cream-colored walls are the first thing that I am able to recognize followed by the 80-inch plasma TV mounted onto the wall above the fireplace. Realizing it was just a nightmare and I am safe in my bedroom, I let out a sigh of relief. I place my hand down next to me where I expect my husband to be. Empty. I look over and see the other side is indeed vacant. I listen to see if I can hear the shower running. Nothing. That's strange. I reach for my rose gold alarm clock. It reads 7:30 am. Shit, I'm running late. I rush out of bed and into the shower. I have a meeting at 8:30!

Henry POV

I take a sip of my cup filled with a large amount of espresso. Today is Wednesday, which means board meetings back to back all day.

I sigh heavily as I place my cup down onto the marble countertop.

"Why didn't you wake me up. I have a meeting at 8:30." My wife says from behind me.

I turn around and say "Good morning, love. The meeting got pushed back to 9. You looked so peaceful and I didn't have the heart to wake you."

"Oh."She says as she reaches for the cup on the table in front of me.

I place my hand on top of the mug catching it before she can lift it off the countertop.

"Can I at least get a good morning and a kiss before you steal my morning jolt. " I say and give her my signature smile.

She rolling her eyes and smiles in spite of herself.

"Good morning." She says and then places a gentle kiss to my lips.

"See that wasn't so hard." I say as I remove my hand from the coffee cup.

She lifts it up and brings it to her lips and give me a small smile before taking a sip.

Suddenly, Doris, our chef walks in holding a single envelope in her hand and says "Well Good morning, Mrs. Kensington. Would you fancy a fresh brew of java of your own?"

I reply before Amy can and say "Actually, I am the one in need of a fresh cup being that Mrs. Kensington has decided to help herself to mine."

"Of course Mr. Kensington, I will get on that straight away." She says as she goes to leave but suddenly stops.

"I almost forgot, Mrs. Kensington this came in the mail for you today." Doris says as she hands it to Amy.

Amy lowers the mug from her lips and her eyes make contact with red envelope imprinted with an American address.

"Good morning Doris, ou can dispose of it. I don't understand why they keep sending me an invitation to this event. My lack of response should be enough of an answer. If you receive any more of them just throw them away. "Amy says as she blows gently over the contents in what was my steaming mug of espresso before returning it to her lips to finish the remainder of its contents.

"Actually Doris, I will be taking that. Besides Amy, this is not an invitation but rather a schedule and necessary information for attending the event." I say.

"And how would you know that?" She asks me as she places the empty cup on the counter.

"Because I checked the attending box on the last invitation they mailed and sent it back," I reply.

An expression I have never seen before flashes across her face, but only for a quick second.

"I am not going. I have a jam pack schedule and we are in the middle of closing an international deal. We have a lot riding on this." She says.

She stays standing rather than taking a seat. Clearly, she already has her mind made up. If she would have sat down, it would have signified this was open for debate.

"We are going. Besides Prescott, is hosting a party in Connecticut that same week. Attending could really do some good. It will show him that we are personable and serious about the deal. However, we won't come across as desperate because we also so happen to be in town for your college reunion." I reply.

"Henry." She states in protest.

Clearly, I am not winning her over.

"We are going and that's final. We are going to your reunion, Prescott party to help close the deal and enjoying that house we brought in Greenwich just for the hell of it a couple of years back. This will give us a break from our schedules. We know we both could use an excursion of some sort.

Doris reappears with two fresh mugs of java. She approaches the table  and says "Here are two fresh cups of morning joe."
-------------------------------------------------------Please like and comment letting me know what you think.