How it All Began

If you're reading this, chances are that you don't have an MFA. Don't worry. Neither do I. I mean, don't get me wrong, I studied screenwriting for television in UCLA's Professional Program  in their school of Theater, Film and Television. But my story about how I started writing television sitcoms isn't cookie-cutter. It's not the standard story of someone who graduates from film school and follows that predetermined trajectory that all film majors follow. 

If you have an unconventional path like mine and you want to learn the ABCs of television writing, then this book is for you. But if you're looking for an in-depth thesis, you may be better off with some deeper dives. 

I wasn't sure how I felt about writing The Screenwriter's Manifesto. I mean, as a woman, so many of us are prisoners of Impostor Syndrome, where we constantly ask ourselves "am I good enough?"

And trust me, I struggled with that question as I wrote this. Not because I'm not a talented screenwriter, but rather, because I succumb to self-doubt.

The truth is that everyone is good, in his or her own right. And the other truth is that we'll never be good "enough" because, well, "enough" is subjective and there will always be someone better than us.

Writing is subjective. It's based on the perception, likes, and tastes of the reader. What is one studio's treasure is another studio's trash. After all, even Breaking Bad was rejected from many studios.

The other qualm I had was writing a book about my experience, because as a woman, I'd be "self-promoting." Self-promotion is such a taboo for the Good Girl, because nice women don't brag. When you're venturing out into writing, and more importantly screenwriting, you need to get over your fear of self-promotion.

So, how did my screenwriting story begin?

The Calling

You never know when you'll get your calling. But when the phone rings, you need to be ready to answer. Literally, in my case it was a phone call.

I'm a lawyer and outwardly, I don't think I ever imagined I'd be screenwriting. I had family members who had dared to venture into this world and I saw how difficult it was for them, trying to land a show, pitch after pitch.

But when fate calls, it calls. One day, a friend called:

"I invested in a small content platform and I need some story pitches to show my partners."

At that time, I had been writing for almost seven years. Not screenwriting-- no. Journalism and essay writing. I'd done some professional blogging for Thomson Reuters. I'd been featured on CNN, Huffington Post, and I had even written a novel that sat only in the depths of my hard drive.

Until then, I had never written a show concept, let alone a screenplay.

How I learned to write my first screenplay

Perhaps all I was looking for was a little inspiration. At the time, I didn't actually think I had a future as a screenwriter. Nevertheless, I went online (more about that later) and self-taught myself how to write scripts. Then, he pitched an idea to me-- a dream show that he wanted to make.

A month later, after an inspirational visit to Montmartre in Paris, I sat down in my Parisian hotel room and wrote my first screenplay.

I sent it around for feedback. I sent it to anyone and everyone who was capable of giving me any advice on structure, plot, or format. I sent it around waiting for the criticism, the critique, and the naysayers.

And I sent it to an actor by the name of Kamran. I honestly thought I'd sent it out to the deep, dark abyss, until Kamran texted me back on New Years' day with his feedback.

I sat there in bed, burning up with a 103 fever in the midst of the worst flu I had in years, a five year old burning up my bed with her fever as well. I sat there clicking on my phone messages, reading them to see what critique Kamran had.

It wasn't critique at all. He told me he could not stop thinking about the screenplay. As honored as I felt in that moment, I never took action on that screenplay. After all, screenwriting was just a hobby. I was a commercial lawyer with a well paying and stable job. There was no way I was going to drop everything and hitch a ride to LA.

So, I thanked Kamran and then, I tucked my screenplay away.

My second screenplay

A month later, I was hit with several intense life moments-- moments that I needed to process. I reached for my laptop and used screenwriting as my catharsis. I wrote a feature film for no other reason than personal therapy.

Again, I shelved that screenplay. The month was now May.

In June, Kamran sent me an urgent message.

"You should apply to this contest!" I looked at the contest-- the winners would get a chance to attend a screenwriting lab at a major three-letter studio. I reworked my feature film into a thirty-minute sitcom pilot and clicked "send."

The rest is history. I was selected for the lab and spent a day at the largest network studio in the world. I still remember my drive from San Jose to Los Angeles. I cried when I saw the "Welcome to Los Angeles" sign.

Shortly after that lab, I was a quarter-finalist for a major screenwriting contest, hosted by Screencraft. And then, I won another contest and attended a screenwriter's lab at an independent studio.

Going forward

Currently, I'm in pre-production for my TV pilot and am working on several other projects for screen and print.

This Manifesto is not an autobiography. Despite that, it's advice derived from my own personal journey from a corporate Silicon Valley lawyer (which I still am) to a published writer and award-winning screenwriter— a journey that on the outside looking in appeared to have only taken a year and a half. But if you look deeper, you'll see that I lay the groundwork for this career change a decade ago.

If you're reading this, then chances are that you're a fresh screenwriter. Or perhaps you're like I was and exploring a new passion. You probably didn't go to film school.

If that sounds like you, then this book is for you. In this book, you'll find tricks and tips on how you can become a self-taught screenwriter. We'll discuss format, story structure, and the Industry.

Not everyone can be a successful screenwriter. But everyone can write a story, even if it's just for oneself.