The Past

Two hours pass and Maeme finds herself watching Itachi head into the village from the edge of the tree line. Once he's gone from her sight, she turns to hide deeper in the forest to wait for his return. She tenses as her eyes land on Orochimaru leaning against a tree trunk a few feet away. She tells him to leave, her fingers twitching in anticipation of a fight. He had left in the opposite direction, so she knew that he turned around and followed them. The dark haired man holds his hands up in mock surrender as he walks toward her.

"I come in peace, Maeme."

"If you come anywhere near me, I will tear you limb from limb."

Orochimaru moves closer, stopping only when Maeme's back bumps against a tree trunk.

"I just want to talk. So feisty, aren't you?" He chuckles, setting her on edge.

"Say your piece and leave, but if you get one step closer, all bets are off and I will kill you."

"I was simply wondering if you've reconsidered my offer. You could have all the power you could ever want or need if you just give yourself to me."

"That sounds so wrong and disgusting." She points out, her hand slowly inching toward her weapon pouch. "I would never give myself to you in any sense of the word. I don't want your power."

"So naïve." He chuckles. "Your parents begged for me to help them realize their potential."

"You're lying."

"Do you remember your life before Suna?"

Maeme shakes her head, closing her eyes in an attempt to block out what he's saying.

"Your parents worked for me. I needed secrets from Suna so they infiltrated the village as citizens. You were such a beautiful little girl." Orochimaru steps closer, reaching a hand out to brush a hair from her face. She wanted to move away but couldn't get her body to comply. "I wanted to help you as much as they wanted me to help them. Then your parents decided they had a heart and took you from me! They got in my way!"

"No... My parents were good people!" She recoils from his touch. "Get away from me."

"They were liars and thieves. They didn't care about you until that village filled their heads with nonsense!" He growls. "They were ready to hand you over to me! I was so close and you got away. They were cowards, afraid of getting caught and afraid of what I could have done for you."

Maeme fights through her storm raging in her head and launches herself at Orochimaru, her pent up rage taking over. The dark haired man dodges the attack and kicks her in the back as she passes him. She manages to land on her feet, her sandals kicking up dirt as she skids to a stop. She stretches her arms outward then slams them down, the ground shaking as two giant spikes erupt toward him. Maeme runs up the length of one of the spikes, fist aimed for his face.

Once she's within arm's reach, Orochimaru latches onto her arm and slams his free hand against her chest. A scream tears from her lips as pain courses through her body. Pushing past the pain, she swings her legs outward and uses his chest to break free from his grasp.

"You son of a bitch!" She shouts, her hand shooting out to form a column but nothing happens. "What did you do to me?"

"I sealed your chakra, that's all. I thought it would be much easier for you to reconsider if you weren't able to use your chakra. You aren't very skilled otherwise." He explains, a wide grin on his face.

"Go to hell! I'll kill you with my bare hands!"

She rushes toward him again, forming a plan as quickly as possible. Being unable to use her chakra leaves her at a severe disadvantage against him. He dodges the flurry of punches and kicks she tries to land on him, enjoying her display of power immensely. In a swift motion, he brings up a leg and kicks her backward, sending her body flying across the clearing. Maeme manages to catch herself and flips to land on her feet as she draws senbon from the pouch on her waist, flinging them in her direction.

"You don't have to do this Maeme, all you have to do is surrender." He calls out as he side-steps the needles.

"All you have to do is drop dead!" She growls in return, her breathing labored from her broken ribs.

Maeme studies the area around in them in an attempt to use the environment to her advantage, but she can't do much with her chakra being suppressed. She darts up into the tree limbs, thankful for the low sun casting shadows through the trees to hide within. She sends a kunai toward his side of the clearing to draw his focus as she moves into place on the other side, careful not to disturb anything.

"Come down Maeme. Why not accept your fate? You were born to be my tool after all." He says, his golden eyes scanning the trees.

She bites her lip as she slips another senbon from the pouch and aims it at his throat. If she can hit his pressure point just right, she can subdue him long enough to kill him. As she exhales quietly, the needle leaves her fingers, sailing toward her target. To her surprise, it strikes him perfectly but her joy turns to frustration as Orochimaru turns to smoke, just a clone.

"How sad, you took your eyes off the prize."

Orochimaru kicks her from the tree and follows her to the ground, kicking her ribs again to prevent her from standing.

"You will be mine Maeme, whether you like it or not. It's only a matter of time."

"Go fuck yourself." She chokes out, fighting back the darkness taking over her vision.

"You really need to learn manners." He chuckles as she shakily gets to her feet, her breaths coming out in harsh rasps.

Maeme swings at him and he easily dodges before striking her in the face, the force knocking her back into a tree trunk.

"Just surrender."

"Never." She spits in his face.