chapter 9.

A week passed by since our last meeting. Well, we did see each other at the Ministry, even talked for a bit, but always hurried back to our respective offices. Workload was at an all-time high, and with the coronation of the new Minister who was kept a secret to be revealed at a Gala, it was going increasingly hectic with all the arrangements and invitations and decorations and all of that nonsense – top level planners were invited to make preparations for the grand event, but all of their forethoughts were guarded covertly.

Everyone was busy sucking up to their bosses in hopes of a promotion, but I knew it was all futile. Kingsley was not one for flattery and respected hard work and diligence; all of these people chatting up to him were simply wasting their time. There were others who were now into frenzy, completing all their assignments in record time, after not having lifted a single finger and continually missing their deadlines for so many years. Pathetic bunch of fools.

Me? I did not give two hoots about a promotion; I was perfectly fine with all the work I was assigned and I did not fancy performing any more menial tasks, thank you very much. As for money, I had plenty, and the Goblins at Gringotts could vouch for that. The Malfoy business was too raking in a good amount of Galleons, so I wasn't the least bit worried about saving up. Being the sole Malfoy heir does have its added benefits.

Finally, the day came, and I was glad for it to have finally arrived. All of that suspense and whispering was really making me sick, and I don't think I could withstand one more second of it.

I looked at my reflection, rather marvelling at the beguiling man that stared back.

I had worn my best tuxedo, brought from Ralph and Lauren.

Don't get confused, the theme called for it, I do not fancy anything un-wizard-like.

But I had to admit, their clothing had a certain elegance to it.

I chose a tailored artist grey suit, and although I looked dismayed at the trembling woman who suggested I try it because "The colour perfectly complemented my eyes", it proved to be quite charming, despite my best judgement.

The suit was form-fitted, which meant that it was custom made to suit my slender frame, but at the same time, highlight my lean muscles, and give off the vibe of a well-groomed man.

Whatever people may say, I do have knack for looking absolutely delectable in formal attire especially, and I was sure that I would be at the receiving end of a number of whispers, angst sighs and flushed proposals today.

I don't really blame those poor girls though; they just can't seem to help themselves. And who would?

I ruffled through my ever set hair, and stepped into the fireplace, "The Brewery" and disappeared in a puff of red smoke.

I stepped into the hall, magically extended, of course to accommodate the entire staff, and I must say I was actually surprised that the Ministry had taken to an expensive location, and it was decorated magnificently. Crystallized chandeliers made the place look sophisticated, but the lighting was kept to a minimum, something which I liked. It added to the décor – a lavish, yet classy decorations of carnations and orchids which left a pleasing aroma of inviting-ness- and a murky sort of suspense.

Everyone was decked up in gowns and suits, and was enjoying the light background music with flutes of champagne, all the while holding small talk with people they didn't really care about.

Lucky for me, I had plenty of experience in this department, considering half of my childhood was spent in drilling all the various customs that us famous pureblood families of old lineage were expected to follow.