CHAPTER 3

I slowly take out a breath of air and make my way back to my room. The bottom drawer to my dresser is open from last night, and my bikini top is draped over the side. On my 15th birthday, my best friend, Rachel, gave me my own bathing suit. Before that, I had to wear my mother's ratty, gray t-shirt and jeans. Luxury life 101.

About 15 minutes later, Colby's knuckles were rapping on my door, his voice pleading to come in. "Are you ready yet Ashlyn?! Come on, you take FOR-EVER!!" I clamped a bobby pin in my teeth and clipped back a stray piece of strawberry hair. I can't stand my bangs sometimes. They're long enough to be tucked behind my ears, but can't reach my tips. Just another unneeded pest in my life... Another knock, with Colby's whine. "Colby, I swear, I'm coming- hold on!!" I yelled at the door. When I finally stepped out, my brother stood a foot away, once more holding his action figures. "Mr. Captain America says that you look pretty." He winked in the direction of the toy and then took my hand.

"Can we PLEASE go now?! I want to be there already!"

It was really, really hard competing with that face.

A short 5 minutes later, the warm, white sand began to sink between my toes as my brother and I stepped past a broken down bicycle sign. It was early in the morning, yet the sun was already up- beaming on Colby like he was the only thing worth looking at. He's my own brother and I have to agree somewhat.

He immediately released my hand and fled to the water, the waves lapping over his toes. Colby beckoned to me, a huge grin stifling on his face. I jogged to catch up with him, smiling with my eyes. Good Lord, my brother was adorable. He loosely held is action figure in one hand, a worthless piece of plastic painted into a superhero. But as long as it made him happy, I didn't care if it was a recycled soda bottle for goodness sake.

As I skidded into the water, Colby jammed his play toy in the sand next to the shoreline. It's left foot stuck up, occasionally getting washed over by the waves of turbulent salt water. He then tangled his small, crinkled fingers with mine and let out a tiny squeak. "Come on, Come on, Come on Ashlyn! Look! The waves woke up for us!" I leaned down to kiss his forehead and leaped into the water ankle-deep, his fingers still laced tightly with mine.