Chapter 5

I dipped my head underwater, pushing my arms to swim harder, faster. As I came up to take a breath, Colby floated a good one hundred and fifty feet from the beach.

"Hey! Colby! It's ok! We can get you a new Mr. Captain America!" I yelled with all the air in my lungs.

"No!" He called, coughing from the before tide pushing itself into his body. "I want this one! He's special! Uncle Ricky gave him to me! And I promised Mr. Captain America that he could be there when I got my swing set!" Colby was clearly crying now, terrified.

Just then, the monstrous wave came into view, towering over me and my brother. "Ashlyn!!! Ashlyn! Please get Mr. Captain America! I'm scared!" Colby whined and balled, his mouth wide open.

"Colby! Hold your breath NOW!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. The wave crashed down on me, and I was sucked under the current. I struggled to get back to the surface, my chest collapsing from such a long time under. Finally, I used enough strength to push myself up out of the calming water.

"Colby?" I yelled. "Colby?" I called again, this time louder. Where was he?! "Colby! It's over! We can look for Captain America now!!" I began to panic, searching the water for a little boy who couldn't speak, or a lost child who couldn't find his sister. I searched for forty five minutes. "COLBY!!! Where are you?!" I began to tear up, breaking down. Shit! Where was he?!

"Colby!!!! Colby! Colby!!!" I was weeping hard now, my face turning purple, stressed and upset. "Colby??" I fell in the water, my hands jarring into a rock. "Where are you?" I whispered to myself.

Soon, I stood back up and continued my search. As I stepped in a pile of seaweed, something hard brushed up against my leg. I looked down, surprised to see Colby's Captain America figure circling in the tide pool underneath my feet. Oh my God. No. Oh my God. I started to bawl once more, and carefully picked up the plastic toy. "Colby?" I sniffled, running a thumb along the painted breastplate of the super hero. Trudging through the water once more, I became determined. I would find my brother. He was ok. He probably just lost his way and had drifted way past our spot.