Chapter 2

After John alerted his security team to his imminent departure from the theatre, the Duolingo owl had been escorted to John's apartment a few streets away. Although Duolingo had obliged to his shy but hopeful request to stay for a late dinner, John still didn't entirely know of either of their full intentions. Would this dinner lead to something he wouldn't be prepared for? If so, John did not want to question what would happen if one did it with an owl. He should probably casually mention to Duo that he was ace before things got out of hand on Duo's behalf. John sighed. They weren't even dating or had even mentioned anything explicitly romantic, so why the heck were his thoughts being derailed so wildly? He shook his head, frustrated with himself. For now he would just try to get to know Duo as a person- or rather, as an owl. There wasn't any harm in that, was there? He had to try, regardless.

They had squeezed under a single umbrella, struggling for dryness amongst the otherwise drenched landscape. Their warm, hopeful bodies pressed up against each other, as the awkwardness between them was almost tangible, and it hung thick like vines snaking down from the umbrella. It wasn't long before they arrived at John's residence. He sprinted up the stairs to his apartment and opened the door, praying it wasn't as messy as he remembered it being. The door opened with a slight squeak and a rush of stale, unclean air confronted his nose. He desperately hoped owls had a lesser sense of smell than humans. John wanted to make a fabulous first impression on Duolingo. And a second impression, and a third. For the first time in his loud yet lonely life, John actually had something to look forward to in terms  of people. For the first time, he was hopeful.

John held the door open and waited for Duo to come flutter-thumping up the numerous flights of stairs. He hoped the smell would waft itself out into the drizzly night, along with the awkwardness and slight tension between them.
.
.
.
.

(A/N sorry this chapters short and kinda crappy. I wanted to update for my apparent nine whole viewers lol. It's gonna end up being a longer next chapter. So, until then, bye.)