The Expected Unexpected

WARNING:
This chapter may offend some audiences and explicit language please read at your own risk.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

"Bye dad." I yell as I walk out of the house to go to school. My mom has been dead for a year, today marks it. Me and my mom were SUPER close. She was the reason I had friends. Everyone at my school loves her. When she passed away I lost all my friends, all but one. But she is a year older and went off to college.

Let me introduce myself, I'm Hope Smith and I'm in my senior year of highschool. My grandmother passed away the day I started freshman year, my grandfather passed away the day I started sophomore year, my mom passed away the day I started junior year. So I have all the right to be nervous today.

My mom was in highschool when she was pregnant with me and fighting depression. When she had me she told me she felt hope so that's what she named me.

On my way to the bus stop I ran into Olivia Holts, the mean, rich girl in school. She was always jealous of me and my moms relationship because neither of her parents were ever home, they were always busy at work. So she had the whole mansion to herself, which I'm sure gets lonely.

"Hi Ol- " I get cut off. "Shut up loser. Do you want a ride?" She asks scooting over, making room in her Mercedes. "Yeah that would be awesome. Thank you" I go to reach for the handle but her driver speeds off.

She sticks her head out the window. "Ask your mom for a ride. Oh wait you can't. Haha loser." She holds up the L signal on her forehead. I arrive at school just in time to put my stuff in the locker and make it to class on time.

Once in class I sit at my usual spot in any class, the back left hand corner, where no one can see me or talk to me. The bell rings and Mr. Johnson starts his lesson. I keep zoning out, trying to find out who's going to pass away today. Hopefully this year gets skipped but I know that's not the case.

Once first hour is over I rush out of class because I know Mr. Johnson wants to talk about all the deaths I've dealt with. I walk into second period with Mrs. Williams and sit in my spot, the rest of the day nothing special really happened.

I walk into my beloved home. "Dad I'm home" I yell so he can hear me. He's supposed to be home, he takes off this day every year. "Dad?" I set my backpack down and look through the house. Maybe he's sleeping in his room? I walk into his room to see a bullet in the back of his head while he's laying down on his stomach.

I start screaming and crying. It's official my highschool experience has been hell. Once I'm calm I call the police, after telling them everything I know I hang up. I go down stairs and whisper "I was never ready for you to leave" not only to my dad but my grandmother, grandfather, and my mom.

 I go down stairs and whisper "I was never ready for you to leave" not only to my dad but my grandmother, grandfather, and my mom

The police arrive and ask me yet again what happened. These two officers have been to my house four times now, the same thing happens each year. "I came home" I say somewhat stable.

"A-a-and I yelled for him, he didn't answer so I yelled again" I start breaking into tears. Officer Dave rubs my back. "You can tell us Hope." Officer Gary says.

"I thought he was sleeping so I went upstairs to check an-an-and I found him, stomach laying face down." The picture comes back into my head. I start sobbing uncontrollably, screaming, yelling, gasping for air.

I have really bad anxiety and inhalers help. Officer Dave pulls out an inhaler and hands it to me. I puff it in twice. "I can't do this, not again D" I call Dave D for short. He's a family friend. So I'm really close to him.

"I know Hope, but it's for a report." Officer Dave says. "I found him laying in his bed, stomach face down with a bullet in the back of his head." I say getting some water so I won't break again.

"You know the drill you can't stay here you have to stay with me." Officer Dave says. "And I know you like getting to school before everyone else" officer Dave continues."ok but where am I going to stay after all this is over?" I ask.

"When your grandfather passed away your mother and father signed something saying that if anything happened to the both of them then I'd be your guardian." Officer Dave explains. "And I'm not gonna kick you out as soon as you turn 18. You could stay with me until you're 30 if you have to." Dave continues.

"You don't understand everyone around me gets hurt or killed. Who knows who's next. It could be you, Gary, Aunt Katrina, Uncle Jim." I go on one of my rants which usually happens when I'm nervous or upset. "I'm not going anywhere, no ones going anywhere. We are gonna find this person and we are going to bring them down." Gary says in a confident tone.

"Ok just let me get my things and say goodbye." I reply now somewhat okay with the fact that I'm leaving. I go upstairs in my white room and grab all the suitcases and anything extra I need. My stuff is already packed because I never got to unpacking it from when my mom died. Our house was a crime scene so me and my dad had to go live with Dave since dad didn't want to pay for a hotel.

After gathering everything I walk back downstairs. Dave has disappeared and Gary was already investigating. "Where did Dave go?" I ask Gary whose back is facing me. "He's in the car." Gary says not moving a muscle. "Okay bye Gary." He waves his hand still back facing me. "See ya soon kiddo." Gary said as I walked out of my house.

"I think you'll actually like living with me" Dave says as we get on the highway. "You are aware I'm still having nightmares from my mother's death right. I'd wake up screaming, crying, gasping for air and dad would always help me." I explain. "I will learn how to help you." Dave says. I sat quietly and waited until we got to Dave's house.