05- When In Doubt, Wear Red

Everything was white.

"Fucking idiot!"

All the nerves in my body were on overdrive. I felt the tiny electrical charges zip throughout my body, making it tremble.

Yet, I could see nothing but white. All I could feel were the charges. I knew I was in the car, but I couldn't feel the seat or the dashboard when I stretched my hands out.

"Rae? Rae, are you okay?"

I opened my lips, and no sound came out. I was helpless here, in this world of white where the feelings were far away.

Where the pain I was supposed to be feeling was far away.

"Don't give in, baby...stay with me..."

I was so tired. The nerves were dying down.

"Don't close your eyes, baby..."

He was whispering to me, his breath warm against my ear. The curly tendrils of pain danced across my temple.

I didn't want it.

I closed my eyes.

"No, Rae. No, no, no!! Get up!"

Why didn't he understand? If he even cared about me, wouldn't he want me to feel better? Wouldn't he want the pain to stop?

"God, Rae! I love you, okay! Just don't..."

What?

What did he just say?

I was sucked out of my white cocoon, and my world flooded with coloured, flashing lights and screaming sirens. I was flat on my back, and three pairs of hands were in contact with my body. I hated it all.

Two paramedics- a man and a woman- were checking my body for any extensive injuries.

Jason's hands were caressing my face, his expression bleak.

"My fault," he murmured. "It's my fault."

I tried to answer him, but couldn't. My throat was sore. I pressed my hand to it, and the woman yanked it away, putting it at my side while shaking her head sadly. I looked down at my hand, and a tear ran down my face.

My hand was covered in blood.

More silent tears came.

"Oh, Rae..." Jason's voice was barely a whisper. But I heard him.

I always did.

I placed a finger to his lips and smiled at him. I needed him to feel better, to stop beating himself up.

After all, I had been the distraction.

"Load her up, guys!"

As the paramedics wheeled me away, Jason just stood there, staring at me with those eyes of his. He didn't follow.

Honey brown eyes were glistening as the doors closed.

"Holy shit, Desi. You look terrible!"

I rolled my eyes, and wrote my answer on the small white board Jason had sent me. Jade laughed as she saw the insulting scrawl.

"Sarcasm, babe. The lowest form of wit, remember?"

I sighed. She sat next to me on the bed, and touched my cheek.

"No one at work knows," she said. "Jason made sure of it."

Yeah, to cover his own ass, I wrote, resisting the urge to throw the marker across the room.